Using scissor jacks ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
a thread a few weeks ago about using car scissor jacks to make clamping systems got me thinking. I have long wanted a scissor-operated platform stand in the workshop for things like supporting lengths of timber alongside a drill press - many years ago I worked in laboratories and we used these to support lab equipment ; they were incredibly useful but I have never seen them for sale.

Anyway, I bought a car jack from the local car breaker for £6 and the local 'metal basher' charged me a tenner to weld a pair of parallel 4mm 10"x8" steel plates on, so for £16 I now have my scissor stand. Just an idea that someone else may find useful.

Roy

the guy who fitted my kitchen, who is now a good friend, used a couple of scissor jacks for positioning wall cabinets to the correct height and taking the weight whilst he sorted out the fixings. I've nicked the idea for things like hanging wardrobe doors where the gap to the floor is too high to wedge. Brilliant idea...

Back