Using old furniture as a cheap source of timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Fellas,

I am sure this is not a new idea, but it would seem to make sense.

Lot of timber here for 99p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/solid-oak...8?pt=UK_Bedroom_Furniture&hash=item1c2196d270

I also like the idea of being able to make an item and possibly retain the original finish, patina, etc. This would be very handy if making an arts & craft inspired piece.

Good to reuse materials as well in these austere times.

Tony.

No it's an old idea but a still a very good one.
NB that wardrobe is veneered, could be 99% rubbish but might have solid oak trimmings I suppose. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Solid wood wardrobes and other stuff often goes for peanuts at auctions.

Potentially good material in old furniture, especially if you make small stuff. But a word of warning. Make sure that you are sure that there is certainly beyond all doubt no nails, screw ends, pins staples are anything else metal in the wood before you clean it up. There is no point in saving £10 on materials for a small box if it costs you £12 to have your planer knives reground afterwards.
S

I recently salvaged a wardrobe from my local tip. It was veneered but going by its weight it was hardwood so i took a chance and got it home.
Can you imagine, it turned out to be veneered alright, but the substrate was Walnut!

Roy.

Digit":1gvukeh7 said:
I recently salvaged a wardrobe from my local tip. It was veneered but going by its weight it was hardwood so i took a chance and got it home.
Can you imagine, it turned out to be veneered alright, but the substrate was Walnut!

Roy.

Now that's what I call a bargain :D

Same here willie, some times you buy firewood, other times it's a gem. I've got a stair case made of Parana Pine, Lord knows what to use it for, several Oak and Beech table tops and loads I've forgotten I had.

Roy.

Digit":1ttxdaa8 said:

Roy.

Our local tip is a nightmare. The employees there seem to think that if someone has bought the item to the tip... it makes it theirs. And if you want to recycle it, you have to pay them for it!
That's after they have had their pick of what's bought in and put all the good stuff to one side for them to take home

And all the time we are being bombarded with advice on how to recycle. Burning good, land fill bad etc.

Roy.

Melinda_dd":4rzhje17 said:
Digit":4rzhje17 said:

Roy.

Our local tip is a nightmare. The employees there seem to think that if someone has bought the item to the tip... it makes it theirs. And if you want to recycle it, you have to pay them for it!
That's after they have had their pick of what's bought in and put all the good stuff to one side for them to take home
Our local tip is identical! I don't think you can even buy the stuff off them anymore.

I think you will find that the contracts the site operators have with the Councils is that materials handed in become their property?
This would allow the Operators to have reduced their bids for running them.
In Hampshire the sites are owned by the Councils but run by Private Operators on a commercial basis.

Rod

Our local 'recycling' centre is the pits.
I dropped some stuff off a while back and there was a set of four of those groovy blow moulded plastic ball swivel chairs from the 60's paisley cushions and all. I asked if i could come back later and pick them up; came back and they had been smashed and lobbed in the skip.
I think they may have been quite valuable.
Another time I saw a massive carboy about 1m tall, same thing.
They seem to enjoy the destruction and saying no to the public.
I have asked the council and they gave me the old H+S routine, items are for recycling not reuse.
Does my swede in.
Chunko'.

It all just needs a bit of common sense applying , but irritating though none the less.

So has anyone built one of these sawdust burners yet?

Latest posts

Back