Using Melamine Chipboard as a Whiteboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large piece (2m x 2m) of Egger faced chipboard, white with a slight texture.
I notice that most whiteboards are really smooth and shiny.

Anyone got any experience using left over chipboard for a whiteboard?

Ages ago and it didn't really work. It marked really quickly because the pens didn't clean off properly - even when using the fluid.

Maybe try it and see? It'd be interesting to know.

I actually remembered that my wrist support for my keyboard is an old piece that i used to writes notes on or do quick calculation when at my desk.

IMG_20200918_150408.jpg

On the bottom, it has some writing that has been there for 6 months. Didn't come off with fluid. However a little bit of jif/cif and it came right off. So I think I can clean with regular wiper day to day, and once every few months do a full clean with Cif.

I plan on putting a few off cuts in various places around the shop, next to machines etc, so when I am walking over repeating "19 x 243 x 649" over and over again in my head, I can just note it down.... or I often just need to do a rough paper and pencil calculation or make a note.

LOL! I have the same problem, except I write it down on a bit of scrap which then invariably gets used as a clamp pad. And of course I put the numbers next to the wood.

So next time I get some white chipboard I'm nicking your idea!

I may well be (most probably am!) a boring old "puff of wind", but personally I find a bulldog clip with a bunch of scrap paper clipped in it does just as well. Bits about 100 mm square work fine for me.

I have a hook conveniently fixed above a couple of the machines where it comes in handy and other over the bench - hence total 3 "scribble pads" on which you can write with pencil, fibre tip, paint pen, biro, blood, or anything else that comes to mind - works fine for me.

BTW, I "made" a cheap worktop near the sink in my cellar worktop and inevitably it gets grubby. I use cif/jif (whatever it's called where you live - a cream-coloured sightly abrasive "cream") and after a while I've found that slowly but surely it's clearing the white melamine stuff off the base chipboard. Parts definitely look very thin and the parent "wood" is beginning to show through. But my "melamine board" may just be a cheapo substitute for the real stuff though

Lads, whiteboards are best cleaned with a properly intended fluid, one that has a surfactant in it. I taught off one for years, and believe me, nowt else takes ALL the writing off, quickly, permanently. Even "permanent" felt tips if you use them by accident.

A real whiteboard will also wipe clean quickly and easily with a proprietory 'duster' without resorting to fluid. Lasts for best part of a year with daily vigorous use.

Also, a chipboard surface is nowhere near the durability of the surface of a real whiteboard. For daily usage, being cleaned over a dozen times per day, no comparison.

Sam

Latest posts

Back