Using Handplanes Unconventionally

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
This tip came in the post today, courtesy of Fine Woodworking: -

"With really small pieces it's often better to clamp the plane in a vice or to hold it upside down in one hand as you push the wood over the blade with the other.

This technique is faster and it's certainly safer than trying to shape small pieces of wood with large machines. It also provides a finer control over the process."

Cheers
Neil

NB I took this straight out of Fine Woodworking and I am not condoning the method employed.

Just be careful where you put your fingers - what planes wood can also plane fingers.....

Scrit

Alf's probably got a hand-cranked disc sander - goes with the hand-powered "bumper" (morticer) and the pole lathe :lol:

Scrit

woodshavings":nk1hy9g7 said:
I wonder what AlF thinks of that ?? :?:
Is there some suggestion here that I'm purely hand tool fixated..?

Actually I exploded the mouthful of tea I'd just taken all over the monitor and spent 20 minutes alternately choking and clearing it up. :lol:

Interesting you should mention a hand-cranked one, Scrit. Just recently came across some instruction on how to go about converting a hand-grinder to do that very thing, amongst others. Unfortunately that means I'll need another grinder. Oh dear. What a shame. (Whoopee!)

Cheers, Alf
Who failed to persuade the Powers That Be of the necessity of acquiring a hand powered mortiser when it appeared for sale in the local paper a couple of years ago. It's still a sore point... :cry:

Alf

Apparently they are even better than Bullworkers (remember those?) for building-up bicep strength - especially on oak

Scrit

Interesting you should mention a hand-cranked one, Scrit. Just recently came across some instruction on how to go about converting a hand-grinder to do that very thing, amongst others.

Yikes..... I'd hate to be the poor buger that had to crank AND maintain 140RPM on that contraption. RSI from hell or what....???????????

Alf, would it be acceptable to fit a motor onto your hand cranked thingy - you could fit a dimmer switch or something to control the speed maybe :?: :p

:roll:

James,

I'm the looney who tries to think of ways of using a dual ended bench grinder without the motor! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf

You could always try treadle-power, like this jig saw http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot34.shtml. I have seen illustrations of moulders (sort-of treadle-powered router table) done this way, too. Gives you the added advantage of being able to find a wiling minnion to do the pedalling.........

Scrit

I think it's The Workshop Book isn't it, that has a guy with a whole range of treadle and pedal powered machines? Including a pedal powered shaper as I recall. Looked blooming uncomfortable to use, but the gizmocity factor rates at about 98%! Hmm, maybe 2004 will finally see me hooking up the treadle wheel I acquired to actually power something. Or then again, it's waited this long... :oops: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Pretty sure minions will be in short supply as soon as treadling is suggested. :?

Oooo, that's fun isn't it? £50 and reserve not even met though? :( Sounds like the seller doesn't realise there's only a limited number of nutters in the country willing to home something like that! Still, I might keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't sell maybe I'll give him a ping... :wink: Not sure whether to thank you for pointing it out or go "Grrrrrrr" really. :?

Cheers, Alf

Looking at the ornate frame and thinking they don't make 'em like that anymore :)

Latest posts

Back