Using Flickr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
The legacy website that comes with my private email address has only limited storage and no way to increase it. So I started looking around at other offline photo-storage sites. Couldn't get on with Picasa and currently trying out Flickr. Only I find the user interface so so clunky. I can upload photos easily with their desktop Uploadr but then trying to get the image URL to stick in a forum post seems overly complicated. So given its popularity, I must be missing a trick or two.

For example, if I upload an image I get asked to go to the Flickr website. At this point the option is Describe This Upload. OK...useful to add a Title. I see that I have the option to copy image URL but when I display it, it is too small and so of no use for posting as a link. At this point it is unclear where I go next. The menu options are not obvious. 'Organise and Create' is of no interest as all I want to do is get the URL! The best option is 'You' which takes me to 'Your Photostream'.

I click on the image I just uploaded. The right-click option to Copy Image URL has now gone. If I look under Share I can Grab a Link. But that link takes me to the complete page with all the dross such as Faves (yuk ...pass the vomit bucket). So the other option is Actions. Click View All Sizes. Click on the best size for the forum, then Right-Click to Copy Image URL and off we go.

Is there a quicker way as this is a bit of a merry-go-round.

Any other photosharing sites that are slicker to use as far as forum posts go?

In contrast, using the legacy website, I export the photo(s) from iPhoto straight onto an icon that automatically uploads them to the website and opens the main FTP program window (Fetch) and straight to the first image...already highlighted. A quick Copy and Paste into the forum...job done. And because the photos are probably sequential, I can simply copy the whole {image] link and simply tweak a few digits in the photo ID to pick up another one. Quick and simple.

TIA

Rog

I've used Photobucket for years without a problem. They've changed their interface a bit recently but it still works as well as ever. Right click on image and "copy image location" is all that's needed for the url.

I like flickr, its easy and fast

this will help you out

click on the photo.

click on share,

click on grab the html/bbc code

click on the radio button bbc

select size, or just leave it on default - which is the perfect size in forums

right click on the code and copy and past where-ever you want it

if you past it in the forum you do not need any addtional tags. it works straight out of the box - that is what i like about it

Mcluma":21n9t00e said:
I like flickr, its easy and fast

this will help you out

click on the photo.

click on share,

click on grab the html/bbc code

click on the radio button bbc

select size, or just leave it on default - which is the perfect size in forums

right click on the code and copy and past where-ever you want it

if you past it in the forum you do not need any addtional tags. it works straight out of the box - that is what i like about it

That helps..thanks.

I too use Photobucket and as far as I'm concerned a very good and easy thing to use with LOADS of space.. You can have both public and private albums and so far I have only used a tiny part of my allowance.

Flicker and twitter are 2 things I haven't touched, apart from a look, and have no intention of going anywhere near them with all of the neg publicity they have been getting reciently..

I use Flickr for all my pics although the blog is taking over to an extent. I find it very easy and the organise section is a doddle.

I never use a link to the forum. If you export in iPhoto use medium sizes, save to desktop. Then just upload to the forum - takes ten seconds. I can understand not wanting to overload the forum servers but I'm sure the mods will tell us if space is getting short.

Jonzjob":522t9wzk said:
Good to see that you have escaped Gordon!! =D> =D> =D> That Irishman can have a rest now, for a likkle while :twisted: :twisted:

Photobucket doesn't put anything more than the link onto the forum server as far as I'm awaire?
Hi John,,
Yup, escaped to the outside world at last. Have to keep up the work though so sadly, no sitting on the B U M for me. Ronnie's list is still quite extensive and I have some catching up to do. Women don't appreciate that rest is part of the treatment too :cry:

Jonzjob":3qvtoknw said:
WHAT! You have just had 8 weaks of almost total rest :twisted: :twisted:

Get yer finger owt and get that list sorted tout sweet 8)

OK OK, I laid a concrete floor this morning and I have to build a duck house and run this afternoon and then..........

Roger, I have both Photobucket and Flickr accounts. I much prefer Flickr. I upload full size images to Flickr because sometimes I need to be able to show detail. But then I can choose the size of the image I want to link to in Flickr before copying the BB code.

This image is available in larger sizes too but you get the point. The image is automatically hot linked so if someone wants to see a larger version of the image, they can do so.

I know that you can do this Dave with Flickr but I found, compared with my own system, that it was too longwinded for what is basically a dump of a photo. I can see the benefit of Flickr if someone wants to use the organising stuff etc but that's not what I need!

Well, alright. I guess since I frequently post images on various forums, it works quite well for me and gives me a lot of control. If you don't need it, though, it's probably better to stick with what you're using.

I tried Flikr a few years back and couldn't get on with it. IIRC for some of the reasons you have pointed out Roger.

I settled on Photobucket as I know a lot on this forum have and it's simplicity itself. If you hover your mouse over the thumbnail of the image you want to include in the forum (don't click it), you will see a drop down with options for copying the code for various uses. If you click on the bottom option (IMG code) it will automatically be copied to memory. You just then paste it into your post, thus:

photobucket2.jpg

Hope that helps

regards

Brian

Has anyone any experience of Picasa for this? I've been experimenting with it and decided to try using it for forum photos but am yet to figure it out.

regards

Brian

Brian, I've got a Picasa album, too. It's handy because it can be uploaded to from Picasa but it isn't quite as straightforward to use the images in forums as Flickr makes it. You can copy the image URL by right clicking on the image and then pasting it between the IMG tags.

PD%2520and%2520Eames%2520Chairs.png

It looks like this:
[im g]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1ESJaL-q3-Q/Txwl0-MthrI/AAAAAAAAHh8/0ijz3vJh_94/s1280/PD%2520and%2520Eames%2520Chairs.png[/img]

Of course with Flickr you don't have to type the tags and you can choose the image size you wish to display.

Back