Using flashing tape as roofing material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that going outside? How will the books stay dry (out of the rain, and out of the damp)? It looks very good.

I did a similar structure for selling boxes of eggs - ended up attaching slates with construction adhesive, very easy & quick, looks very smart. Someone will have a few spare slates knocking around in good condition.

Flashband is horrible stuff to work with, and looks like a bodge job (even when it's working well). If you have to choose between felt and flashing tape, go with felt. Then change it to slates later :)

Is that going outside? How will the books stay dry (out of the rain, and out of the damp)? It looks very good.

I did a similar structure for selling boxes of eggs - ended up attaching slates with construction adhesive, very easy & quick, looks very smart. Someone will have a few spare slates knocking around in good condition.

Flashband is horrible stuff to work with, and looks like a bodge job (even when it's working well). If you have to choose between felt and flashing tape, go with felt. Then change it to slates later :)

There is a door, can just about see it at the side, I'm just waiting for the oil to dry before i attach it. Will be loose fitting and some intentional gaps at the back under the eaves will allow airflow through.

Hi all, looking for some opinions on whether you think this is a good idea. Carrying on from my Previous question i have made this little library thing from hardwood and now finishing it with oil ready to be installed in the village.

View attachment 120110

I was thinking of using self adhesive/ tar backed flashing tape as the roof covering, its easier to apply and work with than felt, and kind of self healing for any minor marks.

Roof area can be covered in a £13 roll so its not going to work out too expensive.

Can anyone thing why this is a bad idea.
I’ve just done a zinc roof (standing seam)on one of my chicken sheds, the only problem is you need the right tools to do it.
you could fully adhere the zinc to the timber roof but you again it depends on the look you are wanting

You'll need some seaming pliers for zinc. Dog ear the corners. Welt the edges over some nailed cleats. Better still use .6mm copper sheet. It's easier to work with and considered a more noble metal.

A little zinc roof on the chicken shed, it certainly beats felt

Attachments

• C5D85C02-AC07-4EEF-BA5C-CB5B20B6F658.jpeg
    C5D85C02-AC07-4EEF-BA5C-CB5B20B6F658.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 98ACD8F9-4BCD-449E-AAD6-65D70EDA758E.jpeg
    98ACD8F9-4BCD-449E-AAD6-65D70EDA758E.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 21
why use timber trim on ridge Robin? wouldn't it be best to go with the synth slate ridge trim?

I’d definately use fibre cement slates. Light, cheap, long lasting, looks good. Can be nailed or stick on.

Flashing tape is nasty and should only be used in emergencies.

Pre formed metal tile sheets maybe, might only need one per side and an apex. Corotile is one brand.
Epdm rubber, a fibreglass system or even good quality torch on felt.
What about just a sheet of lead ?

Ollie

Back