Using ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear ear defenders using any of your machinery/power tools?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at the GBWoodshop, I noticed Dave isn't using any ear defenders operating all his power tools. I was wondering if most of you are doing the same.
personally I use them all the time.

Eh speak up cant hear...

I use them for the router, TS, thicknesser and chop saw.

Everything is really quite quiet

Signal

I definately used mine whilst conducting my electric plane test recently, but also use them with the router, angle grinder (ok, not quite WW but all the same). The TS is very quiet.

Adam

I wear a decent (heavy, strongly sprung) pair of ear defenders for virtually every machine operation, including the table saw, as I am often cutting birch ply and the sheets vibrate and increase the sound output
John

Use mine for router and angle grinder and also SDS hammer drill if I'm doing lots of holes. Chopsaw is used for such short periods that I tend not to bother. Table saw is quiet enough and I'll let you know when I get the workshop clear enough to be able to use my new planer-thicknesser.

Andrew

Hi CYC

CYC":1t23j0uk said:
Looking at the GBWoodshop, I noticed Dave isn't using any ear defenders operating all his power tools. I was wondering if most of you are doing the same. Personally I use them all the time.

It is possible that he is wearing internal ear defenders. There was a posting on here or UKWW about them six months or so ago. They can be imported from the US and cost , including delivery, about forty pounds. They stay in the ear all of the time and allow you to hear a normal conversation but "magically" close up to stop any loud noises penetrating through to the ear drum.

I investigated them at the time but didn't take the plunge to buy them.

Cheers
Neil

I've been wearing ear defenders since I got married.....
Router, Planner and I should use them for most jobs, just just get lazy.

Rgds

Noel

I wear them for just about all the machinery, plus router and circular saw. I don't wear them for the drill press. I'm looking to buy a decent new pair, as the "economy" pair I've got are getting a bit knackered now. Anybody got a recommendation from the Axminster catalogue? I've got a half-completed order that'll go in sometime in the next week or two.

Cheers,

AG

I've been using an ear muff/visor combo for a number of years now, and it gets used lots. All power tools, P/T, bandsaw, chop saw, table saw (if I ever used it) grinder, lathe and drill press. The quiet machines generally create eye hazards you see, so the combo is a bit of a catch all. I heartily recommend it. If only it had a built-in dust mask too... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Youre an inventor. :D I'll take a set of them when you develop them. Now the question is can you fit a tranny that will only bring in good music and interesting programs :lol:

Drew

Good poll,

Yes, I think its good to wear them. Not only do they protect your hearing -but I find they help me to concentrate much more on important things like not mucking up your work and more importantly keeping your hands in a safe and sensible place, which in turn allows you to use things much more safely - if your being shaken up by all the noise it can distract you, and you can become scared of the tool your using.

Of course where all forgetting the best part of ear defenders.

They keep your ears warm :lol:

Signal

t/s router thicknesser,

drew if you ask the tranny nicely [ he she or it just might do as you say] :D

Well I`ll be honest here, I don't wear, them cant stand them, cant hear with them on.
The damage was done to my hearing years ago.

BTW a bit of deafness comes in handy sometimes especially married to my wife

Ear defenders all the time with all machinery, I know its apain but even for short periods. I have a pair with what looks like a head band with corks on the end. Supplied by a friend in an engineering workshop, the bands last a long time and the ear plugs are cheap to replace weekly. As I'm getting a bit short sighted I had some safety glasses made, I need to wear them all the time so that way I never forget them.

Bean

Ear defenders yup use them when any machinery is in use remember that when machines are on most times you also have vac or extract on also.
i recall (many years ago) reading a health arning article about susstained exposure to noise relating to canning and bottling plants. any hoo a statement within the clonclusions indicated that like radiation exposure to high levels (has a cumulative effect) of noise can lead to long term damage or loss of hearing.
noise levels above 86db should be avoided for any extended periods of time.
i would recommend that ear protection be worn/used when using any powered wood cutting equipment in confinded spaces IE typical garage workshop.

alf i dont think this would apply to treddle powered router/jigsaw/planer ticknessserrrr.

Dave W

winter months they are used as ear warmers

Back