Using ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear ear defenders using any of your machinery/power tools?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Well I couldn't agree more Desmoengine, what ever the power tool, you will have the dust vaccum going too. This is too much noise for my young (cough) office worker ears.
With my latest acquisition, the Trend AIRACE (dust mask) I look like Dark Vader's father. I have this big mask in front of my mouth, protective glasses and BIG bright orange ear defenders (bigger than Mickey mouse's ears!).
But I wouldn't do without them.
I find the big defenders don't hurt as much while wearing them for long periods compare to the small plugs you stick inside your ears.

Dave,

Yeah but I'd still want some eye protection, so the combo strikes again!

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I agree with keeping your ears warm too. I was wearing mine while I was planing yesterday! Trouble is you miss out on the feedback your ears give you about how the plane's performing :(

Hey All,
I use ear muffs when using the Thicknesser and sometimes with the router if its a big repetative job. For all other power tools I don't use/need them. ( or when using hand tools, arf, arf!)
Philly

(by the way, I bought my ear defenders because of the name-"big-muff". I think they were made abroad!)

Alf .. whats this about wearing ear defenders when you were planing yesterday ?? I thought L N or Cliftons were super smooth and noiseless - you couldn't of been using the M*** could you !! :D :D
Cheers John

John,

Only if M*** is code for "Lie-Nielsen #4.5 smoother" :wink: The truth is I was wearing them to use the bandsaw, but when I went to remove them a blast of cold ear assailed my poor shell-likes, so I put 'em back on PDQ! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Who really needs to reposition that heater... :(

After using the soft foam ear plugs for years on the bike I'm very used to them but I do find that a closed shell full sized ear defender is better in the garage when using the router. The resonance will be absorbed by your ears and will still sound loud so defenders that cover your whole ear should be better than internal plugs. In theory. I think.

The only hassle with leaving them on is getting your safety glasses on under them unless you keep both on all the time.

And yes, they do keep you ears warm in a drafty garage and mean you cannot hear SWMBO calling you in to help with any kind of domestic chore!!

Latest posts

Back