Using acrylics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
Can someone point me in the right direction in the use of acrylic paints on turnings.
I’ve turned a sycamore bowl, and want to put a coloured stripe round the outside inside a very shallow ‘trench’. Should I sand and seal it in the normal way and then apply the paint, or sand and then apply the paint , putting the sealer on when the paint is dry? When i’ve got to that stage, should I put on a wax finish, or a spray lacquer.? Or should I do some other processes entirely.
All suggestions gratefully received.
D.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I would be tempted to turn a boring looking cylinder from a piece of scrap, cut a few trenches and test different ways before applying to a nice bowl.

I have done a couple of stripes on small items by cutting a groove, filling with Fimo, baking at 110 in the oven, then putting back on the lathe and using a scraper to remove the excess. Not tried paint yet.

kinverkid

Established Member
Reaction score
I would sand, seal, lightly scour then paint. Spray on lacquer will work with most acrylics but I would seal, paint and spray a test piece. Leave for at least thirty minutes to see if the paint reacts. I have used airbrush acrylics, gesso, spirit dyes, water based dyes and even nail varnish and they have all worked with acrylic friendly lacquer but I also know that they are not all created equal so test first. Stewart Furini on YouTube regularly paints and dyes his turnings. Maybe check him out.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi D - yep, what kinverkid said: seal, lightly sand (if you can get in the groove), and then put on your paint. You can use either finish you mention, but if the colour is only a narrow band and the rest of the rim is natural wood I prefer wax on the natural wood. You could seal the paint with a few coats of lacquer and then sand it off the natural wood...
Thanks for the mention, kinverkid.....need all the YouTube views I can get! I have a few videos of using paints...