Using a trimming blade for ripping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any drawbacks of using a 48tooth Trimming Crosscut Blade (Trend) for ripping?

I will shortly need to rip about 20 metres of Cedar down to 2"x1" and would like as cleaner cut as possible. Apart from a slow feed rate, and therefore I suppose load on the saw motor, are there any other reason why I should stick to a 38tooth combi blade?
The Trend catalogue only has the ripping symbol against the combi and rip blades

What would happen if I were to use a 64 tooth blade?

I will be using a kity 419

Andy

Andy
Don't do it if you can help it. Ripping with a crosscut blade quickly heats up the blade as the waste doesn't get cleared quick enough. A rip blade has larger gullets to remove the waste quicker. You'll find the piece wants to lift up off the table, too.
Worth getting a rip blade (even a cheapy!) if you have a lot to do.
hope this helps
Philly :D

Philly's theory is of course correct, but for your situation I'd beg to differ. Personally I wouldn't run out and buy a blade just to cut 20 metres. Cedar being exceptionally easy to cut, I'd give it a go first. If it struggles, then go buy a rip blade.

cheers

Ike

That's good advice. For a fine rip cut on the TS, use fewer teeth (24 or so). More teeth only equals a finer cut on cross-cutting.
I have some of the Trend (single purpose) rip blades, and find they are excellent (especially when new :roll: )

I should have mentioned that the only blade I have is the original kity supplied one. I have been trying to justify buying a better blade and the current project will alow me to do so.

Looks like I might just go for the Trend Combi.

thanks

Andy

I've had very good results ripping with a 20-tooth carbide. Cedar must be a doddle. I have also used a 48 tooth for ripping (too lazy to change the blade for one cut) -- I had to use a slow feed rate, which resulted in burnt wood along the cut. Waste of time!

I have a 40 T (Freud pro) blade in E/B Secanta saw. I have used it for ripping 1 1/4" teak with no problem, the surface is very good, with only sanding required to finish.

My only advice is, do not rush, slow feed, let the saw do the work.

Back