Using a traditional Ring Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello friendly sawdust makers,

I have recently been given a traditional style ring tool but I don't really know how to go about using it. I am not a novice so could probably "suck it and see" but I thought I'd ask for advice for beat practice as this tool is completely new to me.

All advice welcomed.

Many thanks

I have one as well as a modern version of one and use it quite a bit for goblets and the like. The ring tool is used much the same as any other tool with a bevel, though I find it cuts cleaner and better if used just above centre. Drill out the centre to a diameter big enough to get the tool into and then plce the tool on the bevel and swivel until you get a cut and pull towards you. Main hassle is that the ring needs tapping out each time as the shavings get stuck in the ring. The modern version is like a mini disc and can be swiveled around to present a sharp edge. Mine also has a square shaft so you are pretty sure of presenting the tool at the correct angle each time.Great for getting rid of that annoying little pip in the middle at the bottom. Be careful when you have a lot of the shaft hanging over as it can judder and leave ridges which can be a pig to get rid of.
Hope this helps

Pete

pete

ring tool?
one of these?

ring_tool.jpg

or one of these?

combilrpro.gif

Ah yes i did meen the Ring tool and not the captive ring tool.

One more question.

The ring tool has one one large end and one small. The small end hads a bevel but the large end has an internal bevel. Is this right?

Cheers

Yes. I must admit I only ever use the larger diameter. By the way, don't try and sharpen it on a grinder as you will have no tool left use a diamond stone.

Pete

Hi

Ring tools are great tools to hollow with as they are true cutting tools. They do however bite if not presented to the wood but more than worth using to use for end grain, bowls etc.

The bevel (smaller diameter) is for hollowing, with the tool edge being presented at 45 deg to the wood as it is cuts with the bevel supporting the cut under this.

Have a check on YouTube and you may find some videos of ring tools being used. I have had a look but can only find ring tools but then I don't have much time to look at present. If you don;t have any luck I will try to do a video at some stage showing how they work.

I have been using mine for some years and love it but hadn't realised that the smaller bevel would actually hollow. Thanks Mark, always good to learn something new LOL.

Pete

Antti Sorvamaa, a Finnish turner, turning an eccentric goblet.

57 seconds to rough the blank & then hollow the goblet with the ring tool, using it to cut its own hole in nine sweeps , the last three with the small end to complete the finishing cuts.

Brilliant skew finishing as well. A master craftsman at work.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7lG_z2q1U

I use ring tools quite a bit for things like goblets and hollow forms where I can reach with them. The side with the external bevel is generally used for the side of a hole and the side with the internal bevel is generally used for the end of a hole / end grain section. Perhaps the best way to think about the ring tool is a gouge with the handle attached at 90°.

The tool is best used below centre, if you use the clock face analogy the use between 6 and 9. This way, if the tool catches it will be pushed sideways across the rest into clear space. If you use the tool above centre the tool can't go anywhere because the rest is stopping it and the catch will be spectacular!

This is probably easier to show rather than describe and as you're not far from me, you are welcome to drop in sometime and I'll show you what I mean.

I always sharpen my ring tools by hand with a diamond slip. They last a lot longer that way!

As an aside, I also modify the cutters on the Hamlet big brother hollowing tools so they can be used like a ring tool. There's more about that on my website.

Back