"Using a sharp chisel ..."

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
This has to be the most overused woodworking phrase I hear - be it on woodworking shows or in magazines!

Does it need to be said? Isn't it obvious? Why is generally only overused with respect to chisels? It's much harder using a blunt plane than a blunt chisel in my opinion!

Silly thing to bug me but it does! Read it several times in a GWW mag I was skimming through last night in bed. (I just about remember the days when I read books in bed).

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":2qaydc7p said:
Does it need to be said? Isn't it obvious? Why is generally only overused with respect to chisels? It's much harder using a blunt plane than a blunt chisel in my opinion!

I guess that's why. Try to use a blunt plane, and you're not going anywhere. Try to use a blunt chisel, and you'll do the job bu the finish will be bog awful. Hence the reminder to the dense. Does get a bit wearing though.

Regards

Martyn

Not to mention that using a blunt chisel is more dangerous than using a blunt plane - more chance of, under the extra force needed to make the chisel cut, it slipping and impaling the user in parts that shouldn't be impaled :shock:

As the old timer that taught me (complete with all his fingers) said at the beginning of my learning process, always keep your body (fingers included) behind the cutting edge - whatever tool it might be, and you'll pretty well guaranteed not to get cut. The exception being maybe if you leave stuff lying around, trip and impale yourself.

More years on than I care to recall, that's the first advice I imparted to both my boys when they wanted to butcher wood in the workshop.

Ike

Completely agree with all your comments and with the benefits of using a sharp chisel! It's just being constantly told to use a sharp chisel that bugs me.

When, apart from opening a paint tin ( :)), wouldn't you use a sharp chisel. I mean it's implicit surely?

You can tell it's Friday can't you!

Cheers

Gidon

Back