Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Using a router to make dowels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is it a ok idea to use a 6mm straight router bit to make dowel holes rather than a doweling jig? I guess I would need to be very careful in marking up the holes but if the router was also on a track I feel like this might be quite good.

Any tips if so?

Thanks
A

C64

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get 6mm dowel router bits from Wealden or Festool which are spiral. Is this for creating rows of shelf pin holes? Perhaps take a look at Festool LR 32 and DIY versions.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never tried making dowel holes with a router, so feel free to discount my responce, but I would stick with a dowel jig, £10 should get you something usable. My reasoning is this, a drill is designed for moving straight forward (ie making a hole) a router is designed for moving side to side (making an edge or a groove), so unless you eradicate all side to side movement you will get a slightly oval hole. To eradicate all side to side movement you'd need to construct a jig, get everything clamped etc, at which point you might as well have bought a dowel jig.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've used a 6mm router bit for dowel holes many times in my router (mounted on a Woodrat). The bit itself looks (but may not be) very similar to the slot drills used in milling machines.
I've also used a good sharp 'lip and spur' drill bit.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn’t get a chance to reply.

No it was going to be to create dowels to join panels at angles but looking at it this might be tricky so £30 dowel rig I found online looks a lot simpler actually.

The woodrat looks great but at £500 it’s a bit of an investment.

I should really just get a biscuit joiner to be honest which will probably save a load of time :)

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it’ll work.

But a router drill bit is the Gucci option if you are doing a lot

Aidan

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Its probably best I will give both methods a try and see what which one works best. Thanks for the advice