using a router to cut thin metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a cabinet maker and want to inlay silver designs into some of my products. The silver would be in sheet form(about 1mm thick.) Because I want the inlay to be as accurate a fit in the recess as possible is it possible ,in anyones experience, to rout/trim the silver using a template and router. The recess can be obviously cut using a router and an opposite template.Silver is relatively soft but is it possible to cut it using a router and are there special bits for this purpose. I would appreciate any advice or information from anyone with experience or genuine knowledge. I have considered fretsawing but this would not leave smooth accurate enough edges.
Thanks
James

Never tried it but possibly one of the cutters made for the alloy door trade would have the right cutting angles for non-ferrous metals, can't be that different to using an end mill or slot drill in a milling machine. Have a look on the trend site as they do them.

Jason

Woodman

I have worked Silver quite a lot and routed aluminium. I think it might work, however you must be very gentle as mistkes will cost .

As always, test piece first :wink:

Trend do an inlay kit which comprises two router bushes, one to cut the inlay and another to cut the recess.

I am sure that I have seen Norm trim brass inlay to size with a router, don't forget the tap tap safety glasses 8)

Back