Using a mitre gauge flipped 180

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertterbo

Established Member
Reaction score
So imagine taking the mitre gauge out of the slot, flipping it 180 degrees, and putting it back in the slot.

Such that instead of the fence of the gauge being behind the cut, it's in front of the cut.

Assuming the piece being cut is clamped to the fence, is there any safety concerns with doing this?

I appreciate you won't get as clean a cut as the fibres are not supported, but I'm ignoring that for now.

In essence, it would be like using a panel sled.

I've seen and done it myself but don't generally do it as in most instances there is no advantage. One instance where it can be is with some wide mitre cuts. More of the mitre gauge is on the table before the cut begins.

Pete

If the slot was in a sliding table and the mitre gauge could be locked in place in the slot (not sliding) panel saws are commonly used like that. Pushing the work forward against a fixed fence. The sliding table and work then move forward together.

If not in a sliding table, I wouldn't be keen. By definition your hand holding the work to the mitre gauge must move towards then past the blade where a kickback could pull you sideways and into the blade. Good practice is to keep your hands short of the leading edge of the blade as far as possible.

I have done it when cutting boards that are too long to push through, and have stopped half way and flipped the mitre guide back to normal.
It didn't seem dangerous to me at the time, but I may have missed something.

Back