Using a laptop away from home

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I will shortly be going away to family and have never used a laptop away from home.

How do I connect upto the internet with the laptop anywhere in the UK?

It is modern w7 and works wirelessly here at home to the router.

The hotel should give you a password to access their WiFi router. It depends on the hotel whether you have to pay for access to WiFi or not though. If the hotel does charge you it might be worth seeing if the cafe next door or another establishment offers free WiFi. It's worth making sure your virus and security software are up to date before wandering around accessing third party internet access points.

Yes, there may be some public open wifi hotspots that have no passwords that are free to use.

You'll also find many domestic wireless networks are unprotected and that you can connect to them, but, in theory, you could be done for theft (of their bandwidth and data allowance).

If you go into Starbucks and get a coffee then you can use their wifi.

Anyway, maybe a break from the computer would be good? :)

If you have BT broadband at home or work (if you own business BT boardband) then ask about there open wifi hot spot service. With this system your given a username and password and if your close enough to anyone using a BT home Hub or a BT access point or similar you can login using your own username and password.

You could also use an "Internet Dongle". You buy a USB stick that has a sim card, you prepay say £10 (or you get some free credit with the dongle), plug it in, install and your away on the internet anywhere you have a phone signal.

If you have a smart phone and a data plan with your mobile then you can use the phone as either a wireless access point or plug in as a USB modem.

I am on BT Broadband and use BT Fon whenever staying with relatives who haven't broadband.
Be careful with hotels their wifi charges can be very steep.
The main thing is to check whether your laptop has wifi - if not you will need a card or dongle.
Broadband over Mobile Networks can be very hit and miss depending on signal strength?
This is where a smart phone scores - small, portable, wifi and 3G built in?

Rod

I use a Vodafone dongle when we are about in the caravan. Works great where there's a signal, a lot cheaper than paying the site for their wifi.

If you get a good 3G signal it can be better than at home.

regards

Brian

Seconded Brian, I've used one for the past couple of years now while out with the caravan. Only place I couldn't get a signal at all was Stowford Meadows in North Devon but I wont be going back there ever again anyway but that's another story for another forum.

Cheers

Steve :)

Latest posts

Back