Using a hacksaw cutting big(gish) stuff. Or how to saw a railway line.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
14tpi was preferred, for bigger jobs (see link in Original post). Likely a typo. I have 18tpi on order.
See this piece (provided by another reader for rly line steel.

Now through the top 'bulk' of the rail.
I was interested to learn more about railroad tracks so went to the linked site. Somewhere in there the author says:

"Obviously, this is pretty hard stuff. You’re not going to get too far with a hack saw.

If you do, send me a video. I’m always up for a good laugh."

Looks like you are proving him wrong, Dave!

Two things that I was taught:

1 Never, ever, start a NEW blade in an OLD cut!

2 The blade cuts on the push; not on the pull! (I suspect that the teacher told the kids that so it would slow them down, and give him a breathing-space! OR; it made the blades last longer)

Another 40mm before I hit the ground plate. Run out of hacksaw depth! Need to figure out a way of aligning
two saw cuts now. Laser to the fore I think.

This popped up in my inbox recently and would sorely tempt me if I had an urge to try similar..
DFB6C650-3EB8-4391-9091-4A14050CDBA0.jpeg

I thought it would have been in member AES treatise on hacksaws, but
I must have came across it from a tool seller in Co Waterford named John ONeill, I couldn't find it since, but maybe I've not used the correct term.
I'll have another wee look.
edit:
@pe2dave Eclipse no.55 sheet saw is what it looks like.

Last edited:
14 tpi blades are available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacksaw-Replacement-Blades-JatilEr-Cutting/dp/B08S751F8V
Whether they cut more than a couple of strokes, I can't say.

The product description is encouraging though. Not only are these blades light and portable, they are also "extremely multifunctional". Admittedly none of the pictures show railway lines being cut, but Amazon only allows limited space for pictures of the many functions ...

I thought it would have been in member AES treatise on hacksaws, but
I must have came across it from a tool seller in Co Waterford named John ONeill, I couldn't find it since, but maybe I've not used the correct term.
I'll have another wee look.
edit:
@pe2dave Eclipse no.55 sheet saw is what it looks like.

Having written the piece, I can confirm that the saw shown is not included, sorry. Reason? A) I don't think I've ever used one; B) I don't own one; C) though I was (vaguely) aware of their existence, I'd forgotten all about them when writing the piece. Sorry.

P.S. I don't know what size blade they take - I THOUGHT the "standard" 12 inch but I could well be wrong.

I have a tool that I rarely use, and it takes up quite a bit of space, but is just so good for what it does, that I keep hold of it.

1624196730723.jpg

You just set it going and go do something else. It's also quiet enough to use well past bed time in a built up area.

Cost me a £21 eBay bid, but, again, the real price is the space it takes up.

Having written the piece, I can confirm that the saw shown is not included, sorry. Reason? A) I don't think I've ever used one; B) I don't own one; C) though I was (vaguely) aware of their existence, I'd forgotten all about them when writing the piece. Sorry.

P.S. I don't know what size blade they take - I THOUGHT the "standard" 12 inch but I could well be wrong.
See this ebay seller ruler alongside implies 16" so it would be good for deeper stuff.

I have a tool that I rarely use, and it takes up quite a bit of space, but is just so good for what it does, that I keep hold of it.

You just set it going and go do something else. It's also quiet enough to use well past bed time in a built up area.

Cost me a £21 eBay bid, but, again, the real price is the space it takes up.
Perfect for the job, though (like you?) I just don't have the room for such a tool.
I recall something not dissimilar in metalwork classes, an 'old' school.

One on ebay - but (big but?) Seems to take 16" blades?
There's two of them, it's the no.56 which is the larger one, and the smaller one takes normal blades apparently.

It would be interesting to know how one would tension the blade, and if its a simple affair, then looks like it could be made in a pinch, if you had some suitable plate.
(say if it the frame bottoms out completely)

I doubt you'll mind me mention of them as I don't think you'll have much competition :)
Image 1 - Vintage ECLIPSE No.55 & No.56 Steel Backed Sheet Saws Metalwork Hack Saw England

There's two of them, it's the no.56 which is the larger one, and the smaller one takes normal blades apparently.

It would be interesting to know how one would tension the blade, and if its a simple affair, then looks like it could be made in a pinch, if you had some suitable plate.
(say if it the frame bottoms out completely)

I doubt you'll mind me mention of them as I don't think you'll have much competition :)

Good point about tensioning them! As pointed out, you want a straight line, you need a well tensioned saw!

I do wonder what the two upper ?rivets? are all about... though I can't see how they could be used to tension the blade.

Back