Using a hacksaw cutting big(gish) stuff. Or how to saw a railway line.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to find a piece of Brunel's broad gauge rail, known as 'bridge' rail or 'top hat' sometimes found supporting fences or notices. I suppose a battery powered angle grinder and a quiet night would be essential.

If I had to cut something like that I'd take it to a local engineering workshop & ask them to put it through their bandsaw.

I was in a hydraulic cylinder repair place & they would cut the pistons out of hydraulic cylinders in their band saw.

I can't part off hydraulic piston material in my lathe because its just too tough. Not even with carbide inserts. That's even after I've ground the chrome plating off.

But they can saw it.

Metals Supermarket might do it for you as well if you ask nice.

If I had to cut something like that I'd take it to a local engineering workshop & ask them to put it through their bandsaw.

I was in a hydraulic cylinder repair place & they would cut the pistons out of hydraulic cylinders in their band saw.

I can't part off hydraulic piston material in my lathe because its just too tough. Not even with carbide inserts. That's even after I've ground the chrome plating off.

But they can saw it.

Metals Supermarket might do it for you as well if you ask nice.
Lots of 'ifs' there? None of which apply to me.

Love hacksaws, but Hack is the word !
Cut 1/2 inch steel - no problem.
Cut 1 inch steel, yep - ok
Cut 2 inch steel, yes, but - on a good day !
Cut 3 inch steel - no thanks !!!
Power saws- band, reciprocating etc - just love them.
I sit with a mug of hot coffee and watch them do the hard work

I would like to find a piece of Brunel's broad gauge rail, known as 'bridge' rail or 'top hat' sometimes found supporting fences or notices. I suppose a battery powered angle grinder and a quiet night would be essential.
No - a very noisy night so nobody hears you.

Next up.

I found a nice piece of armoured copper cable next to the piece of track I was cutting the other day, how do I cut that without getting electrocuted ?
Fibreglass handled axe.

You might want to invest in some arc-flash proof clothing and a faceshield too.

Last edited:
Back