Uses for Stearin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just retrieved a couple of large candles that the Estates Manager was taking to the bin.

These are labelled "100% Stearin".

Is there any use to which stearin can be put in the woodworking world?

-Apart from the usual use of wax for lock lubrication, drawer sliders, the working faces of planes, etc....I've got plenty of paraffin wax candles for those jobs!

I make my own polishes using the usual beeswax/carnauba/mineral oil etc - could stearin be any use here?

Martin.

Stearin is a generic term for natural product like oils and fat from animal and plant sources so they are not exactly saying what it is.
Regards
John

Hi John - thanks for this.

You're right of course, it's a natural product, one of the main constituents of tallow amongst other things, but it's at least as well characterised as, for example, Mineral Oil or White Spirit, allbeit from an organic source rather than a mineral one.

It's widely used in modern formulations of cosmetics, tablets (the popped variety not iPads!) etc so I just wondered if it has any application to our interests.

Martin.

Latest posts

Back