User side of the bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Interesting comment @pe2dave made on the user side of the machine. 🤪
I presume the HSE would suggest so. i.e
The column side being the "user" side of the timber.

That along with the button being mounted to the column on most, and seeing as the blade will apparently most likely, try exit the machine in the other direction from what I've read.
Dangerous of area bandsaw .jpg

I can't see how one would process stock being on the "other" side of the fence
and see youtubers struggle to feed timber like that, often I see folks using pads to keep the stock against the fence which puts their hands in quite close proximity to the blade.

Having a big table helps with using two suitable long pushsticks of some sort,
Often I like to have a hefty length of wide stock that will sit on the table or be clamped if need be, and something in the left hand long enough to be well away from the blade,
but it begs the question if such a term or similar advice exists?

Is the "other" side of the fence prohibited within a certain distance to the specific machine?
Just wondering as there isn't much written on this forum about it, compared to the tablesaw.

Thanks

Tom

I am not sure where the concept of "user side" comes from - the H&S guidance which I have scanned looks both generally sensible, recognises bandsaw use may require hands close to the blade sometimes, although push sticks preferred where possible.

Shows operative standing in line with the blades to feed wood in for both straight cuts against the fence and freehand. On this basis using the left hand to switch on/off is intuitive.

Guidance

@Terry - Somerset
Thanks for that link.(y)
Rather interesting that the basic illustration shows tenon cutting with the left side of the fence, which isn't possible on many's a machine.
Seems to me the HSE info is lacking a wee bit, especially with the newer generation of saws being made today.
Take this one for example, although one can take note that the fence is usable from both sides.

Attachments

• Griggio resaw.png
    Griggio resaw.png
    801.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I am not sure where the concept of "user side" comes from - the H&S guidance which I have scanned looks both generally sensible, recognizes bandsaw use may require hands close to the blade sometimes, although push sticks preferred where possible.
There is nothing funnier, once you've got over the initial shock of a blade snapping, even when its fluttering about and you're expecting it to happen. That loud bang really makes you jump :LOL:

I think though in these vids, its big resaws that the dangerous side exists, and from the vids, little guarding is evident.

We were taught a rule if the blade goes on a big saw, the 3"+ wide blade types, which was if it happens, to switch off, then go outside for a cigarette and when you come back in, never ever open the top door, without first placing a hand on it to feel it that top wheel has stopped spinning.
The reason given was while the lower drive wheel stops, the upper is spinning at high speed and opening the door could allow the blade to flop out, which would then catch on the spinning wheel, and bloody mayhem would ensue.
So even on my small saw when a blade goes, ill not open the top door without first feeling to check the wheel has stopped turning.

Funny story from one of the guys at Lanark Saw services where i got my saw and occasional blade. The guy was transporting a big production blade in the back of an estate car, and as you know that size doesnt get coiled, but folded and secured with twine. He went over a bump and heard a pinging noise and one of the securing knots got cut through. Slams on the brakes and jumps out as 5m blade starts to unravel itself.
Ended up with the blade covering pretty much the whole inside of the car. Not something you want to be sitting amongst.

Last edited:
To be honest its not something I ever gave a lot of thought to. I have broken a couple of blades and the noise does make you jump but it's all contained inside the guards. On the machines most of us weekend warriors use a blade break should be reasonably safe. There would be some risk if you have the full cutting height exposed to cut a small bit of wood but used with some common sense all up they are pretty safe machines.
Regards
John

Interesting comment @pe2dave made on the user side of the machine. 🤪
I presume the HSE would suggest so. i.e
The column side being the "user" side of the timber.

Thanks

Tom

My 'column' is against the wall, so I stand facing, to the right of the blade? Hence I called that
the user side :) I've not heard any standard terminology, though 'column side' would make sense.
HSE respected here, no limbs lost as yet!

My 'column' is against the wall, so I stand facing, to the right of the blade? Hence I called that
the user side :) I've not heard any standard terminology, though 'column side' would make sense.
HSE respected here, no limbs lost as yet!

My column against a wall too. But I have a Euro 260 so I stand to the left side. 😳

Latest posts

Back