User licence restrictions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a desktop and a laptop. Historically, the desktop was the only computer we had attached to the internet and has all the protection (AV, Firewall etc). Now that we have broadband and that the laptop has wireless connectivity, we use that on t'internet as well. It still has a free McAfee trial period to exceed so is protected.

Here's the question: Can I use my symantec AV subscription to cover both computers? They are rarely, if ever, used at the same time and to all intents and purposes by only one user. Obviously they have the same IP address because of the broadband connection.

If I can, what do I need to do please since it wasn't a straight forward download (it was masked by Symantec so I couldn't see what files went where).

Cheers

Tim

Some licenses allow this, some don't - it should say in the license agreement. My guess would be that officially you can't have one license for 2 PC's with this software.
I use AVG Anti-Virus - free so can have it on any number of PC's! Does the job for me.
Cheers
Gidon

We are in a similar position to you, and we have licences for both computers. Auto updates for viruses will be a problem on two computers with the same licence.

had this problem in 2004, i have 4 computers! tho one is a linux machine so no need for AV. The cost for AV on all three was between £50 and £100 depending on the product :shock: so i bought three copies of mcafee 2003 from a seller on ebay cost <£20. It may offically be an older version but it worked perfectly downloading all the latest updates automatically so i'm fully protected. I'll be doing it again when these run out.

Tim, apparently Symantec do not know the answer to this either.

I am in the same boat and i searched their website for an answer and the nearest i could find was the following the FAQ:

Can i transfer an existing subscription to my new computer?

Answer. If you will not be using the Norton program on your old computer, you can transfer your remaining subscription to another computer. However, installing the subscription on more then one computer at a time is not available option. Each copy of the program provides a subscription for only one computer.

The trouble is i have been told that although you cannot use the program on 2 pc's at the same time, you can for some reason use it on one "1" pc and "1" laptop. So i contacted Symantec and they confirmed this. But then a few days later after being unable to run live update on both of the computers i contacted them once more only to be told that i would have to buy a subscription for each computer.

So i am back to square one.

Regards

Woody

Thanks Woody - I phoned Symantec this morning and got a similar reply. Infuriating.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back