'User friendly' Central Heating Programmer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a combi you don’t need a controller that can do water. On the plus side, you can fit open there if your boiler supports it which you can’t on a system boiler.

I have a Viessmann boiler controlled by its own programmer. It works off an external temperature probe rather than a room stat and you just have a work out the building’s heat loss (bit of trial and error but not that hard). Once it’s set up about right it just does it’s own thing modulating higher when it’s cold or lower when it’s warmer to get to maintain the target temp. I don’t even have to turn it off in the summer.

I also put in a nest thermostat last winter.
We love it. It's made a big difference to comfort in the house relocating the thermostat and it has excellent usability.
Pogramming is straightforward by the gadget or app.
If my wife has an early shift, she often doesn't bother pre-programming it. She just turns the heating on from her phone a few minutes before getting out of bed :)

Dibs-h":1g0lnr38 said:
I changed over to the Honeywell Evohome system earlier this year and am impressed tbh. It allows each rad\room to come on individually and all of them are controlled from a wireless thingie, can do it from the phone if required.

Has a 7 day programme for each one, with multiple on & offs.

Just had to swap all the TRV heads (not the valves) on each rad (leaving one as a bypass - no TRV head) and wire the controller into the boiler where the old one went. About 30 mins for that and about 10 mins per TRV head swap.

So can you have an individual TRV valve on each radiator in the house and have them individually time controlled (how many on/offs per day ?) and different temperatures ? Our CH is cut right back and only comes on for a couple of hours in the morning and at night. But our kitchen has a lot of glass and so it would be nice to have the kitchen rads on giving, say, an ambient of 16 degrees but the rest of the house off during the two main hating cycles.

RogerS":2zdjbhbe said:
So can you have an individual TRV valve on each radiator in the house and have them individually time controlled
Yes.

(how many on/offs per day ?) and different temperatures ?
I've got some on 3 on\offs & I think you can go with more. Yes - each on\off can have a different temp. If you need more - I can check to see how many it will go to? [On is a temp above 5 degrees and off is 5 degrees.]

Our CH is cut right back and only comes on for a couple of hours in the morning and at night. But our kitchen has a lot of glass and so it would be nice to have the kitchen rads on giving, say, an ambient of 16 degrees but the rest of the house off during the two main heating cycles.

You could do that - at Christmas when Mrs & kids are at her folks, if I'm working away on the laptop in the dining room - that will be on (along with one or 2 other rads which are the bypass ones) and the rest of the house is off (for most of the day)

HIH

Dibs

RogerS":kvcgygwn said:
... [On is a temp above 5 degrees and off is 5 degrees.]

To set a valve\zone to off - you actually set it to the lowest temp it will go to, which is 5 degrees C. And to set a zone to "on" you set it to any temperature above that.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Dibs

p.s. If you do fancy getting it - drop me a PM & I'll point you to where I got mine & you can be assured it was the cheapest possible price. ;)

Back