Useless facts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you wrap brown paper round a cats belly, it can't stand up. It looks as if it's drunk.

The greek population of Melbourne, Australia, is greater than the greek population of any other city apart from Athens

When a person dies with their eyes open, if someone doesn’t close them straight away, they remain open.

To be able to see something on the horizon 140km away you would need to be on about the 600th floor of a building or around 1500m above sea level. That depends on how high the thing is you are looking at of course
I used to live in North Wales. I've seen nearly everything there but the coast of Ireland.

Given the history of Irish made things that float, if went out on the veranda in the morning and saw that iceberg, I'd be thinking fool me once ...

🚢

Funnily enough the shipyard workers at the time of the build regarded themselves as British, picture of king in the good room and all that.

We can see you from here though...

(Though that was a rare instance of very clear air, it's not that clear normally)

I stand corrected!
I used to fly over to Dublin to clean the great big pint glass in the Guinness factory.
I'm not even making that sentence up.
We'd abseil it at night then in the morning I'd go for proper bacon and eggs and pints of bewleys tea. By the time the pubs were open I'd be in there paying back all the money Guinness owed me. Quick kip then back at it at St James Gate.
No flies on me. No sir.

At some point I'd absolutely love to see more of the country.

You can see Wales from the Dublin mountains on any decent day. Unusual to see it so clearly as in that fantastic photo.
We spent one of our best holidays in South Wales in 2016, staying in a caravan in Pendine and touring the south West quadrant.

Back to the topic; human newborn babies are equipped with several instinctive mechanisms that are suppressed by 6 months of age, including;
Grasping reflex: a newborn baby will grasp any object placed in it's palm. It is believed this is a remnant from tree-dwelling ancestors.
Walking reflex; a newborn held upright with its feet touching the ground will make walking movements. No theory on this one.
Fright reflex; a frightened newborn will open it's arms and legs wide and then cling tightly if picked up. It is thought this is a survival mechanism so the child can be quickly picked up and carried away from danger.

Not entirely useless facts, though. Developmental checks at 6 month ensure that these reflexes are suppressed, otherwise indicative of neurological problems.

Back