Useful stuff for woodworkers not normally found in toolshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Plasticard is the first item that I wish to mention. It can be bought in sheets something like 18" x 12" from model shops. It comes in a variety of thicknesses, I've got bits from .5mm to 2mm. Absolutely ideal for shims and spacers especially when making jigs etc. Easily cut by scoring with a blade and bending. Excellent for setting doors in frames, cut a few pieces of 1.5mm and use when setting the hinges.
Let's hear your suggestions
John

johnelliott":2u11bbik said:
ideal for when you've drilled a screw hole in very slightly the wrong place
John

thought that was what stanley knives and whittling were for... :D

Sorry, John. What passes for my mind has gone blank. If I remember to, I'll go and sit in the workshop later, cast my eye about and see if a neuron fizzles. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

John,
There are loads of things probobly to many to mention

scissors, cardboard for templates, elcetric pencil sharpener (best tool in the workshop) digital calipers (from an engineers workshop) steel rules (again engineers tools) these are just a few to mention

good thread by the way its always interesting to know what other devices people use in their workshops

Ian

er... WOOD you don't find in a toolshop ...

nor of course wine, bread, salame, prosciutto... :D :D

Hmmm.....

Old hard drives, strip them down to get out those loverly rare earth magnets.

Though dont ever hold two up and try to keep them apart with your fingers
as youll end up screaming for some one to come and rescue you!!!

Signal

Hi John,

I use plastic cutting boards for making inserts for saws. They are easy to work with normal wood working tools give a good slippy finnish and are cheap :D

Art shops are good - I picked up a nice aluminium t-square with a 600mm arm for a tenner; great for marking-out jobs.

Halfords is good for all kinds of stuff - wet&dry and all kinds of abrasive pads, rust remover, metal polish.

Wilko's keep Sanding sealer and Briwax at good prices.
Halford sfor Strap clamps useful an large frames.

Also strip out power supplies from old pcs as they can power an old car radio for the workshop.

Bean

Back