Used TS blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
There was a thread on this in the General Woodworking section but I didn't really get an answer to my questions so I thought I'd post it here.
I have a bunch of used TS blades and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of steel the bodies of blades are generally made with, and whether they are hardened or not.
I'd like to recycle them to make various hand tools (blades and parts like sole plates) but I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort. I figure they'd have to be made of high-carbon steel or HSS for them to work as blades.
Thanks for any input,
Frank D.

Stumped eh? Hehe...Someone suggested to give my blades the spark test...which I'll do soon.
Thanks anyways! :wink:
Frank

Frank,

You you talking about tipped blades? I don't think they will be HSS, no need as the carbide does the work.

Yes Dave,
the carbide-tipped ones. What you say makes sense, but I really had no idea what they are made of. I thought they might be made of tool steel to avoid warping from heat...maybe just wishful thinking on my part. The spark test should tell me pretty quickly though, I never thought of doing that.

Back