Used lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
How much could I expect to pay for a used Union Graduate lathe in good, usable condition? I would not like to have to do an extensive restoration project, and don’t have the skills to do that anyway. Are there any issues related to these lathes of which I need to be aware?
D.

£650-£850 depending on the condition and accessories seems the going rate for sold listings on the bay. They have a non-standard thread but nothing that can't be worked around as at least a few companies sell inserts for there chucks to fit.

A Graduate is on my all time lathe wish list and there's an excellent group on Facebook Union Graduate Lathe Owners with very knowledgeable and helpful members.

Each to their own, but assuming that the figure quoted above is ballpark (£650-850), what draws you to the graduate? I have seen various other lathes for a similar sum and one the big off puts for me on the graduate is the premium that the they seem to command (and a unusual but not unheard of thread).

Your money, your wish list, and only you know what suits your needs but I am interested.

Cheers Droogs! To be honest the best way of finding a true value of things is to look at sold listings on eBay - shows what people actually want to pay for things, not the fantasy prices people list them at. I sold my grad for £1000 but it was restored and came with a lot of accessories. There's very little to go wrong with them - just bearings in the headstock really. I fitted a vfd so I had variable speed, which was nice. If you're buying it to keep I'd get a dedicated thread patriot chuck, the excert sounds like a good idea but it introduces runout and you lose a lot of room, especially on the outboard side.

Like Marcros I always wonder what the attraction of the Union Graduate is. As I see it, it has a small bowl capacity and a fairly short bed, an odd spindle size and a (usually) outsize price tag. For the same money I can't help but think that there are much more versatile modern lathes available of similar build quality.

We had a Union graduate at work with lots of accessories and it was a great machine that would run all day. When I retired I didn’t have space for similar machine so picked up a smaller Union Jubilee which shares similar strong construction and massive motor. Although made by same firm they don’t share the massive price tag so worth a look👍

I would add that whatever you buy, the one that is slightly more money but comes with a boatload of extras is often the best buy. Chucks, centres, faceplates and tools soon add up if bought separately.

Hi,

I've owned two Union Jubilees both nice lathes; I've owned a big heavyweight 3 phase with cross slide Dominion; many years ago my lovely wife bought me a Record Power DML24" which I'll never part with and is actually a nice solid heavy small lathe especially for a novice. My dream was always to own a Union Graduate but I could only drool over the brand new one on display at Boddy's many years ago costing something like £3,000 even then. I've now got and owned my fully rebuilt and much modified Graduate and I'm not disappointed; it's a keeper and I don't think Graduates are over priced at all; I think booze and all the electronic gizmos are overpriced as is paying to watch someone kick a ball around a field but it depends what you want for your money. My Graduate will last forever with a bit of TLC now it's bought and restored the purchase price is just a memory.

You're so right marcros regarding extras/accessories costing so much in fact they can soon add up to more than paid for the lathe; my Patriot chuck cost £200 with just a single set of jaws. When I bought the Graduate it came out of an academy and I was over the moon to accept lots of faceplates; scroll chuck and a whole load of top quality expensive turning tools; I thought all my Christmases had come at once.

Anyone buying a Graduate needs to check it's complete; mine was scrap with a number of parts missing but I'm capable of rebuilding machinery and making new parts. A graduate is a rock solid machine and used to be regarded the Rolls Royce of woodturning lathes; it's still a top lathe.

Kind regards, Colin.

I got my Graduate for £350 on eBay- it involved patience and luck. It's the 5th lathe I've used (Picador Pup, antique treadle lathe, Record Power, Myford ML8) and the only one I've liked. If you have used several lathes and found them wanting, you won't be disappointed. However, it would be quite a punt as a first lathe!

I got my Graduate for £350 on eBay- it involved patience and luck. It's the 5th lathe I've used (Picador Pup, antique treadle lathe, Record Power, Myford ML8) and the only one I've liked. If you have used several lathes and found them wanting, you won't be disappointed. However, it would be quite a punt as a first lathe!
I agree with that last comment which was why I floated the Jubilee idea, it’s maybe a little less intimidating for beginners😁

Like Marcros I always wonder what the attraction of the Union Graduate is. As I see it, it has a small bowl capacity and a fairly short bed, an odd spindle size and a (usually) outsize price tag. For the same money I can't help but think that there are much more versatile modern lathes available of similar build quality.
Bob there was a bed extension available which makes it a very capable machine 😉 I think the sheer weight adds to the smoothness of the machine and the motors seem quite powerful compared to some of the modern lathes. Downside as I see it is changing speeds.

I remember a person or two saying similar on a similar thread i made months ago; "Get variable speed, get a swiveling head, get modern, etc" But realistically for modern convenience with the same build quality, weight, etc your looking at 3x the price at least so i can't see the comparison. The union is a great investment as they are easy to maintain and hard to get wrong compared to the electrical based modern lathes and being so popular its really little concern that its not the standard spindle, lots comes with inserts and accessories are plenty on the used market. Variable speed is a common addition that you can find pre-wired on them now-a-days! If you need more depth inboard a drop plate and raiser can give you a bunch of extra workroom. More work but thats half the fun!

I don't think anyone is disputing they are good lathes, just whether something else in the price range would be better. I wouldn't dream of buying anything without a swivelling headstock, they are so much more comfortable to use.

I don't think anyone is disputing they are good lathes, just whether something else in the price range would be better. I wouldn't dream of buying anything without a swivelling headstock, they are so much more comfortable to use.

exactly. buy what you want but for the price quoted of £600-800 (no idea whether this is right or wrong), I was pointing out that there are quite a few options on the used market. That may include variable speed, swivelling headstocks, other features. No features are universally needed, but may suit some turners and some turners may require some in a lathe. From what I have seen the graduate is a solid lathe and I an not against it but if that is the budget then it is a decent amount to work with.

People retire, and some choose to spend a chunk of their pension on fancy woodworking kit, planning to spend the next 20 years turning big lumps of wood into an array of bowls to sell at craft fairs. After a while, some of the same people a few years older, with aching muscles and bad backs from lugging great lumps of timber onto the lathe, who have grown tired of spending their days turning. The houses are littered with bowls, every family member dreads birthdays, Christmas and family bbqs, and the craft fairs dont cover the cost of the materials. They either decide to downsize the lathe or get rid entirely. As a result, there is a steady stream of used larger lathes that keep coming onto the market.

Latest posts

Back