Used Hegner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPCG

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forums and have watched the videos for first scroll saw.
I have the chance to get this used hegner for £160 guaranteed in good working order.
Opinions on whether its worth it?

Apparantly its a multicut 2,waiting to find out if its single speed or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_100810.jpg
    IMG_20200807_100810.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 226
If its a multispeed, it will have a rotary knob on the front of that electric control box.

If the dust blower is important to you, check that the yellow rubber bellows hasnt perished. It most probably has and a new one is two thirds the price of the saw :shock: :shock: .
Its not a deal breaker though because its simple to rig a small 5 quid aquarium pump to blow the dust away from the cut. But its a good arguing point to get the price down. =D> :lol:

Sunnybob is right that the bellows is expensive...but "2/3rds" is a bit of a stretch. i got a new one for £16ish.
They're a good saw, and that seems a fair price for fixed speed or a good one for variable.

Thanks guys,
Iv currently got a £200 offer in on a variable speed one too so hopefully one other the other will work out.

The Hegner Multicut 2 IS variable speed - in all cases I think. As sunnybob says there's a rotary knob on the front of the red box fixed to the front of the motor (you can't see it in the pic you posted because the view is from the side, not the front). You can easily check on the Hegner UK website.

Sunnybob is also correct - IMO anyway - about all Hegner spares prices (AND complete new machines!) being VERY high. OTOH, the Hegner is reckoned by many to be "the Rolls-Royce" of scroll saws, and from the one I looked at very closely (and tried out) it certainly is a very well made machine. They do have a very good reputation.

I'm not sure of current UK prices (again, Hegner UK have their own web site - Google) but guessing, I'd say the current UK new price must be somewhere above 600 quid. So if the one you're after is OK then at that price I'd snap the guy's hand off myself.

Finally I again agree with sunnybob about using an aquarium pump to keep the dust away from the actual cut - something which personally I'd regard as absolutely essential if you want to do accurate intricate cuts, particularly on small jobs.

HTH

I owned a hegner multicut,,, TWICE :shock:
Bought one with me to Cyprus. Tried it a few times and decided it most definitely was not for me, and sold it to a model railway man.
Move on about 5 years and he was in dire need of quick money to pay rent so I bought it back, as well as a hobby model making lathe which I had always wanted.

Within a month, I again decided I did not have the patience for the hegner, or the lathe :roll: :roll: (hammer)
So they both got sold on.

Deadeye, that was poetic license that was :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never owned any sort of gun sunnybob, and cannot see any reason why I'd ever want one - not ever. (But I do have both a scroll saw - my third - and a small lathe). Ah well, "Each to his own" as they say mate ;-)

As scroll saws go (not to be compared with guns or any other "apples"), Hegners are generally reckoned to be very good. Just saying!

Thankyou all, considering the two im looking at are both just the top end of the "cheaper" saws price tag, I think as long as there's no issues with them itll probably be worth it.

Ideally looking to spend 150-200ish so unless someone has recommendations on a decent new saw at that sort of price, I think one of these should be ideal

Similar questions along these lines have been asked before but AFAIK (and nobody here has posted to the contrary) your 150-200 quid will only buy you a "mediocre" machine (at best) - whatever colour it's painted and whatever name badge it has on it, it seems that all new saws in that sort of price rang come out of the same one or two Chinese factories, and apart from colour and name badge, differ only in detail.

Did you check the new price of that Hegner as I suggested? I believe that the current new price of that machine is well more than 3 times your stated budget (please confirm that for yourself - I don't live in UK and am not up on current UK prices).

But if I'm correct (and assuming that the offered Hegner does actually work) then the only way you'll get offered any other machine of such quality is by looking for another S/H machine. As said, IF it works OK, at that price I's bite the seller's hand off.

Yeah you were definitely right, 2x the price minimum for a new single speed, 3x for variable.
Deffo hoping this works out.

Back