Used Axminster AWHBS250N?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been offered one of these, apparently in 100% working condition for £150 including freight to me. The chap says that it's still under warranty. I was really after a AC1950B but those are around £320, so quite a lot more. However, the motor is 1/2 HP on these new ones and is only 1/3HP on the older model.
Do you guys think the used AWHBS is a viable proposition at a reasonable price or a bit of a lame duck?
Any advice will be gratefully received!

newer motors are rated to a different scale to older motors, brushed, brushless induction, its a minefield. Full details of each would be needed to properly compare.
Its sounds like a bargain, check with axminster that the warranty still stands though

The chap just confirmed that he cant find the receipt so Ax won't honour any warranty without it. Still, it seems like a good buy. He's asked me to transfer him £50 and pay the balance after Ive received the saw and am happy with it. Seems like a great arrangement but the old cynical git in me is asking "what if he keeps the £50 and doesn't send the saw" or "How do I even know if he has the saw" etc etc.

I just sold mine in the For Sale forum. I also advertised my Hobby lathe.

The old Hobby series bandsaw is IMHO a better product than the new Craft ones. Previously there were four Hobby machines, something like 8”, 10”, 12” and 14” wheels. In the old range only the entry model had ceramic thrust supports and the better models had decent bearings. Now all the Craft ones offer ceramic thrust. To get one with decent roller bearings requires a big hike in price to their Trade range. Not surprisingly all the Trade and Jet models have decent bearings. Of course you can upgrade a machine (some fettling) Axminster offer an upgrade kit from £40-£70. The kits are from the old Hobby range! I’m not sure if the change to the pressed steel case was a positive move as it looks very fragile to me. The trouble with power and HP is that you have lots of choice when picking a number e.g. S1 thru’ S8. IMHO this gives flexibility to the marketing types who like to promote bigger numbers. If the new motor had more HP than the old one, then it ought to be a bit bigger too? I don’t get the impression that the new ones are anything other than a cost reduction - I could be wrong. At least one of the entry Trade machines have 750W on website but only 550W on label 3/4 HP. My Hobby bandsaw was sold with invoice and transferable warranty - not hard to do e.g. either look back at purchase history or ring store for a copy of the receipt. IMHO no receipt is not a good start. Keep your £50 for beer fund not for a handkerchief.

Thanks for all the great advice guys,
I’ve decided to just keep looking for the right saw. Hopefully one will come along soon!

Back