use the bleeding mitre saw hold down clamps.... GORE ALERT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHwoodworking

contact me for bespoke high end firewood!
Reaction score
or you will end up regretting it like i did.

also use a saw horse or something that keeps the wood level with the table. coz it happens in less than a 10th of a second.

i was doing everything else right, like the 100's of times before and this time it went wrong.

just USE the ruddy hold down clamp. it isn't there for decoration

Attachments

• IMG-20200528-WA0024.jpeg
    IMG-20200528-WA0024.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
  • 20200529_092339.jpg
    20200529_092339.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 383
  • 20200529_092312.jpg
    20200529_092312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 383
Ouch looks painful, hope you don't have any lasting damage.

How exactly did it happen?

Pete

Sheesh, bad luck. Hope that wound heals well.

A gore-warning in the title might be handy for those who don't want to see pureed flesh as they're eating their lunch.... :wink:

Ouch, hope you are OK

Coincidentally I was looking at the Million Dollar Stick on the woodworkers workshop yesterday - I think you have just convinced me to buy one!

:shock: Hope it fully heals, another reminder for us all to be more careful.

Mrs C":3eplmnn7 said:
Coincidentally I was looking at the Million Dollar Stick on the woodworkers workshop yesterday - I think you have just convinced me to buy one!

I bought myself one of those last week, I don't normally go for gadgets but it is good, highly recommend.

I never used mitre saw clamps until I got a Kapex, now I do (sometimes :roll: ). The ones on the Kapex are so easy to use it's just a lever action to lock on and off. Every other make seems to use a screw down type clamp which is a real faff and slow to use which is why they just get left off.

I was cutting a bit of 2x2 and i think (it happend so fast that i will never know what happend) as the longer bit fell away, it fliked my hand into the blade and mangled it. it didnt hurt that much but when the anastheic on my arm wore away after the opp........ ouch. that hurt.

blood everywhere and all up my arm. thankfully i was using my DLS110 rather than my R210SMS and that probably saved my finger because it has a very good blade break (remind me to thank makita for fitting one that works). and i had also just let off the trigger.

but youll never find me using a saw without a hold down again,even if i have to bring my own. :D . better than most site saws ive found :D

I hope it heals well, thank you for the reminder!

Recently I have been looking up how to cut small pieces on the mitre saw, most of the solutions including jigs. I hadn’t really thought that holding stuff big enough to require support could lead to getting in front of the blade, but I guess it depends on what direction you are pressing in prior to it going wrong.

i am in the process of designing a jig that involves t-track and holddowns....... for little bits

and i have also desided to get the sawstop festool table saw as apposed to a sheppach one. coz my dearest parents would rather me beeing broke than broken

Ouch. It's coming up on five years since I sacrificed the tip of my little finger to a planer/thicknesser. I got off lightly and although the tip regenerated there's a numbness in it yet if I catch it in a certain way then there's a serious jolt of pain shoots that through it.

So on the subject of mitre saw hold downs, anyone got any good suggestions? The one on my Makita wasn't bad but it's the one let down with my dewalt; it never seems o want to clamp where I need itt and rarely secure when it does.

You were lucky you didn't lose any of your fingers.
I lost the tip of my middle finger a short while ago on a planer/thicknesser and posted the pics here.
It happens so fast and the damage is done even before you feel the pain.
Take care with the healing.

Ouch! I've never used the clamps on any I've used. Safe enough to just keep your hands far away from the blade and make sure the guards are in good condition.

You were rather fortunate (Or really unfortunate depending on how you look at things) by the sounds of it with the blade coming to a stop as your hand made contact. You still see on some sites people pinning their mitre saw guards up so that the full blade is exposed and it always makes me cringe at the thought of just grazing the blade with a hand as it's coming to a stop, I've definitely bumped the guard many times myself.

It's a pretty grievous injury to have at such a young age but it should heal back alright judging by the damage in the photos but I'm no expert on that kind of thing. A good friend of mine's son who's about the same age as yourself was reeling in an extension lead by hand on a farm running the cable through his hand as he pulled it in and unknown to him there was exposed wires on the lead coupled with the fact that it had been through farm effluent as well when it ran across his hand in burned extraordinarily deep almost to the bone on almost each finger when it shocked him, he's still having physical therapy for the hand a year or so after but it's healed pretty well considering how it looked when it happened.

When it comes to SawStop, an old curmudgeon that used to frequent the forum would say "There's no replacement for safe working techniques"... although he'd word it a bit differently and more confrontationally to try and start an argument but he had a point. I think SawStop is a very good complimentary safety feature but safe working practices should still be exercised such as push sticks and proper guarding.

Welcome to the nearly less than ten fingers club.
Hopefully you haven't done too much damage to the tendons? If you have, make sure you get some physio or OT lined up in due course.

Yikes that's nasty. I've been using mine all afternoon without hold downs, I'll look at it differently now. (hammer)

Trevanion":2bqtn0rs said:
When it comes to SawStop, an old curmudgeon that used to frequent the forum would say "There's no replacement for safe working techniques"... although he'd word it a bit differently and more confrontationally to try and start an argument but he had a point. I think SawStop is a very good complimentary safety feature but safe working practices should still be exercised such as push sticks and proper guarding.

Would that be the same old curmudgeon who admitted to placing heavy weights on top of timber to keep it flat when surface planing? #-o :lol:

Lons":1n2u2d8j said:
Would that be the same old curmudgeon who admitted to placing heavy weights on top of timber to keep it flat when surface planing? #-o :lol:

I never said he was always right! :lol:

Sorry to see your injury, but out of curiosity? How close to the blade did you have your hand (before it happened, we can all work it out for afterwards)

Aidan

@thetiddles

about 6 inches.

i cut a nerve on my middle finger so one half has only got hot/cold sharp/blunt feeling.

i felt the pain imidialy but it it wasnt silly amounts. just felt like i had whacked my hand with a hammer.

but yes, while i don't agree with jacob over his weights, i somewhat do with the crown guard, and will defiantly be standing out the way and all that of the blade, and be using push sticks and all. now to find money for that festool :D :D :D :D

blumming ummer they aint cheep, but 2.5 grand v no finger. i know which one i want, even if i end up depleting the bank even more after the mitre saw....

That looks nasty. Hopefully it will heal without any problems.

It doesn't have to be power tools though. Years ago I took the tip off one of my fingers with secateurs when pruning Fucias. :roll: I didn't seek medical attention and stuck the tip on with plaster. It healed ok but is still slightly numb.

Nigel.

Back