Use of resin in decoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I want to try my hand at using resin in decorating bowls. The thing I have in mind is creating a trench in a wide bowl rim, putting some decorative objects in it, and then covering them in clear resin. I’ve seen this done, but never tried it. The problem I have is that I don’t know what resin to use. I have seen three varieties on offer, GlassCast 3, Clearcast 10, and Clearcast 50. It seems that GlassCast 3 is self levelling, while the others aren’t, but it cannot be used in the thicknesses the others can. Which is best for my purpose, and what snags do I need to be aware of?
D.

Any clar cast resin will do it for you, I just get the cheapeast on Fleabay.

Attachments

• LARGE.jpg
    LARGE.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 26
I have had some experience with this with varying results.
I cast some paper cranes into a bowl mold which could have used a trip to a degasser, which I do not have. There are some remaining bubbles but it is usable.
I filled the recess of a bowl with the extra resin and that turned out to be one of my favourite pieces.

This is the brand I used - Alumilite AMAZING Clear Cast Epoxy Resin - 940ml / 32 fl. oz (approx 1kg)

Preparation and ambient temps is important, the warmer the better when mixing and pouring.
Bear in mind all the other needed bits 'n pieces like cups, stirrers, scales etc.
A vacuum pot is desirable/vital depending on depth.
I intend to get something decent when it gets warmer before any further attempts.

All the best.

Also you cant put too much resin at once. I mix 0,5kg slow curing and put in vacuum chamber for de-gas. After 1,5h starts boiling.

You will mess few project so made "fast" many little ones.

seal your recess (acrylic varnish is what I use), resin can seep into your bowl and can leave a nasty stain, also epodex do a deep pour resin that you can use up to 5cm in one go. Good luck
20210116_140500.jpg

I don't think you need to worry about self-levelling as you'll no doubt be finishing it off afterwards. As the epoxy is liquid, it will level itself anyway (in fact you'll find out very quickly if things aren't straight as it'll drip over the lowest edge). Definitely seal edges as suggested. Hot air gun is good to get rid of bubbles if you don't have a pressure pot. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6
Make sure also that your wood is dry. Any excess moisture will be drawn out by the heat of the curing resin, which leads to milky white blooms in your resin.

My first resin attempt was this bowl, eBay cheapest casting resin with copper glitter mixed in. No pressure pot.

20200307_184218.jpg20200307_184232.jpg

Latest posts

Back