US hurricane and Europeans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
I think some of you Brits , Scot,Irish French etc. need to come over here and give people a lesson on how you get through a disaster. While I feel for my fellow americans. I think they are the biggest bunch of belly achers. Today when some food got through, military MRE. A lady took it and tasted it and threw it away because it wasn't hot.
I haven't heard so much belly aching and negative in my entire life. I was raised poor on a farm . So maybe I have the wrong idea.

Dave

Your continent at times is very unfortunate in that it suffers some extremes of climate and geographical problems.

I think Americans should consider having a more in depth survival program available even perhaps in each state that can get to these sort of emergencies within hours.
If food storeage exceeds a certain holding period it could then perhaps be distributed monthly or whatever to parts of the world that would make use of these rations for their needy populations.

Hope you dont tell me to mind my own business.

I could be way off beam here but my sense is that the response to the hurricane in the US would have been vastly different had it occurred elsewhere in the US (New Hampshire for example). The fact that a large majority of those affected may be black and of low income perhaps reflects the lack of urgency?

The other thing that I noticed from glancing through our tabloids (**ANARCHY** headlines etc) and reading reports of firing at emergency helicopters, hospital staff etc is that you could just as easily substitute in the reports the word 'USA' with the name of just about any third world country and the story would ring just as true.

i am with Roger. If this hurricane had wiped out most other states medical help, food, and water would have reached the people much faster. especially if that state just happened to be Florida where big brother Bush is governor.
I cannot believe that the most powerful man in the world was seen on television playing the guitar and smiling while just the day before the very people who voted him in to power were dying.

My heart goes out to those caught up in this disaster and i just hope that the help that they now appear to be getting is long term and not just for the cameras.

Regards

Woody

The rescue has nothing to do with black or white. There was a city just to the west a few miles of mostly white people. They just didn't wait for the goverment. They got busy ans started doing things for themselves and they brought thousands of blacks in and go t them clothed and fed. I was raised that you do what you can to help yourself. These people just sit there in there own filth and holler about the goverment. Even in buildings where there things such as brooms and trash bags they won't even try and clean up. They just throw there trash on the floorand live in it.
Not only are they trying to make it a race issue its a media ratings event. Who can dig up the worst possible situation. The reporters go in and report are fed, clean clothes, clean shavings. How they do that?
I'm 58 years old and learned a lot about WWII . I don't think Britain would have survived if they acted like this back then.
The big charities wont take any clothing,food or the like. Only money

SlimShavings wrote:

These people just sit there in their own filth and holler about the goverment. Even in buildings where there are things such as brooms and trash bags they won't even try and clean up. They just throw there trash on the floor and live in it.

What do you mean "These People" With a attitude like that how can you say that it has nothing to do with black or white. I suppose that 40/50 years ago the south did not have white only bars, schools, and toilets.

Woody

<moderator tips moderating hat on back of head, leans against the wall of the forum, chews a matchstick and staring into the middle distance mutters as if to his/herself>
I really hope this thread isn't going to go somewhere where it oughtn't, otherwise I'm gonna have to do something. And it's such a nice day, that seems an awful pity.

Cheers, Alf

Alf you are correct. This is not the time or the place for having digs at each other, especially when there is so much sadness and suffering over there.

Regards

Woody

Correct. Hasn't the awful example of Northern Ireland over the last thirty years meant anything? Once you start apparently or actually discriminating.....

ALf and others
I apologise if I stirred anything up. Sometimes my patience is not good.. Watching these people (black and white) suffer and not do anything to help themselves is more that I can comprehend.
I also if you will allow me . Hopefully calm and misgivings or fears by having you all meet my daughter and home grown grand- daughter. One of 16

picture0248nu.jpg

There are several colors in my family :)

I shall be more discerning about posting in the future

Hello Slim

Slim said"One of 16 ".

I feel so bad. :oops: I have only 1 grandson---and only 1 daughter--Maybe I didn't try hard enough or maybe my son-in-law didn't try hard enough. :twisted:

Travis

Hi Slim and y'all,

I agree, Slim. I didn't take the reference to these people any other way than was "evident" on the news.

Black, white, yellow, green. Makes no difference. A person who is government dependent is a person that is most often dissatisfied, impatient and unwilling to help not only themselves, but each other at any point in their lives, but is especially evident in a time of crisis.

And not all people who are being supported by the government have a "gimmie" attitude in hard times beyond their normal existence. Sometimes, for a few, it is a crisis which wakes them up to the possibilities in life. That they can pull themselves up. That they can help another.

But many have the concept of entitlement so ingrained that they feel they have a right to have all parts of their needs and wants fulfullied by the rest of society. Sad state of affairs this is.

This is more true in various areas than others. For instance, many years ago following the last great earthquake in San Francisco and in particular, Oakland where the population is largely black, people of all races pitched in at once to make sure other peoples' needs had been met. This type of list goes on back through to the great Chicago fire.

Unfortunately, good news is rarely the topic of the news programs, other than the odd bits of stories here in the US.

When, in this terrible disaster, centralized areas treat the help they are receiving with disdain, it will make the news. Fortunately for them (the ones who are ungrateful) the help and support will continue. That an area is predominently one race or another is not relevant. It may be a fact, without being racisim.

They, the ones refusing or acting ungrateful, will be aided despite themselves. But no one is going to cook their meals and set the table for them no matter the color of their skin.

And, btw, here's my brother in-law. One of the best men I have had the privilege to know.

2004_04_17_Craig_Mike.jpg

And, btw, here's my brother in-law. One of the best men I have had the privilege to know.

What,you drink red wine,and give him a bottle of sauce to drink... :D :D (assuming you are the one on the right :wink: )

There are several cities in England that have a high proportion of ethnic backgrounds - for instance,my ex-wife was living in Harehills,Leeds when I met her.My step-daughter was one of only two non-asian children in her class at infant school.
The first time I went into the local KFC,I felt somewhat out-of-place being the only person in the shop (staff and customers) without a turban :shock:
Then went to the local corner shop for a bottle of wine,and walked in to be met by the shopkeeper,Mr.Singh - a very stereotypical sikh - who greeted me with the words "Nah then,lad - how ist,an' wot canna getcha?" in a broad West Yorkshire accent..

Great bloke,as were all the Asians I met round there - I think this was the point at which I learnt to accept people for who they are,not what they are.

Any race/creed/colour has good and bad amongst them (I've met plenty of white people who should be removed from the gene pool 8) )

Okay folks, don't go mad proving your PC credentials! Cripes, I mean to say I have a Texan cheerleader cousin and a Canadian uncle, but I try not to make an issue of it... :roll: :wink: But I thank you for your cooperation. =D>

Cheers, Alf

Being in a position where I've had little else to do these past few days but sit around watching this mess degenerate, I gotta say that its been frustrating as hell to watch. I spent 6 months in NO a few years ago working with some of the friendliest and hardest working people I've ever met...

I read the other day about a contractor who arrived from Batton Rouge with enough heavy equipment so start plugging the breeches in the levees... just got up offa his backside and got on with what needed to be done while the "experts" sat around musing over how difficult it would be.. That "get it done" attitude was what I grew to love while working there... didn't matter what the prob was... nothing's too big for us to handle... lets get it done...

I dare say it woulda been done a lot earlier if the "experts" would just get outa the way....

Me... I've helped the only way I could... through the Red Cross... donno what else I can do....

Back