Urgent help needed, Wimbledon area

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have a friend who is a blind artist and she needs a piece of material cutting for a project that will be hung in a gallery on March 8th. The job is simple but the material is not - styrolene. It's a flexible plastic sheet about 5mm thick, same material that styrofoam is made from. She simply needs her sheet (approx 2m by 1m) cut along its length. Her sighted partner can't help. They've tried score and snap, but it didn't work. Hand saw won't give a straight enough line. A bandsaw was suggested, but the width is a problem. My suggestion was a jigsaw with a very fine blade running at low speed (but I don't have one).

Can anyone within striking distance of Wimbledon help out? She is happy to take a taxi to your location if it's not too far. Please call me on 07900 407163 (office hours) if you can help and I'll put you in touch.

Thanks.

I don't know if it helps, but sign writers often have facilities for working with sheet plastics.

You could contact Yellow Pages and ask them?

Adam

Another suggestion which may help is the use of a hot wire to cut it - which is what I believe those who cut foam mattresses use: therefore an upholsterer may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

I think that even with teh finets blade on a jigsaw there will be some breakout. How come the score and snap doesnt work? I am surprised that a really, really sharp blade (eg scalpel) and straight edge won't do it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

T

If this is another name for polystyrene, then be careful if you use a hot wire to cut it - it's inflammable and the vapours are toxic. If you use a bandsaw, the dust is a health hazard too...

Hi Brian

don't know if this will help, but I use an EXAKT PRECISION SAW.

http://www.exaktpt.com/

I used it to cut plastic and thin laminate, it has a dust extraction hose with it . There is little or no dust at all when you attach this to a hoover.
Hope this helps.

SCOTT :D

Your suggestions are interesting, but what is needed is someone near to Wimbledon who can actually help. That means cut the material for her. She can travel a limited distance. Has to be done in the next couple of days, or not at all.

Here's hoping....

Brian

I'm afraid I can't help with the cutting.

I don't want to appear churlish but the posters on this thread are from Herefordshire, South Wales, Sussex and Japan :shock: !!!

Are you not able to do the cutting using some of the suggestions given that by all accounts you are almost as close to Wimbledon as it is possible to be! :?

T

I'm in Wimbledon but am very busy until weekend, maybe could help tues. night. Dont know this material is it brittle/clear/opaque. The best I can offer is a handsaw but I can saw pretty straight and it would have to be cut on site.

Alternatively give Champions (timber merchants) in New Malden a ring, if it can be moved and you give them a sob story they might cut it on their panel saw - worth a try. I'll try your number or PM me.

John

you are almost as close to Wimbledon

Unfortunately I'm working up in the midlands and have been since last October, and of course I would have driven over there myself if I could have helped. Although the posters to the thread were remote (and I do appreciate their taking time to read my request and to offer suggestions), I thought there might be someone more local who reads the forum and thanks very much to John who called me last night. My wife has since left a message for Lynn (the artist concerned) to contact him directly and hopefully it will all work out to everyone's satisfaction.

Brian,

Sorry, :oops: I figured that there would be a reason like that about an hour after I posted and was going to delete my post becuse it was pointless anyway. Kept get a bandwith exceeded message on the site so couldnt do so and then forgot :oops:

Glad that the problem may be sorted.

Cheers

Tim

tim":1bvin4bl said:
Brian

I'm afraid I can't help with the cutting.

I don't want to appear churlish but the posters on this thread are from Herefordshire, South Wales, Sussex and Japan :shock: !!!

Are you not able to do the cutting using some of the suggestions given that by all accounts you are almost as close to Wimbledon as it is possible to be! :?

T

Thats why I added the link, so maybe he could buy this saw and help her out :roll:

I got to the Exact site and it looks like a nice tool. No price information (do manfacturers ever put prices on websites?) but a lot of good write-ups.

Many thanks indeed to John, who went around to Lynn's and helped her with the cutting. For those who are interested, here are the details of the roving exhibition. Sorry it's all Surrey/Hants, but that's who's sponsoring it! I am exhibiting two small pieces, one a US flag made from wood with an interesting twist on how to represent the stars, and a sort of musical instrument. Both pieces make use of metal and wood and create an interesting contrast when you 'see' them... Hope anyone who's in the area can make one of the exhibits - and buy some of the great stuff, which will support the blind in Surrey and Hampshire.

BORDERLANDS ARTISTS' CONSORTIUM

invites you to

LIFE TODAY

Entirely touchable artworks engage our senses and challenge our ideas of what brings art to life.

Sue Chadwick, Lynn Cox, & Ruth Naylor
Artists-in-Residence

Suzanne Caster, Julie Collins, Nigel Forbes Moores, Brian Naylor, Sylvia Raymont, & Meg Harris Williams
Contributing Artists

Joined by 22 sighted and visually impaired art workshop participants from across Hampshire and Surrey

March 9 – March 20 Walton-on-Thames
Riverhouse Gallery, Manor Road
Meet the Artists on Thursday, March 10th, 6.30 to 8.00pm

March 22 – April 16 Haslemere
Haslemere Educational Museum, 78 High Street
Meet the Artists on Saturday, April 2nd, 3.00 to 4.30pm

April 19 – June 22 Basingstoke
Milestones Living History Museum, Churchill Way West
Meet the Artists on Saturday, April 23rd, 3.30 to 5.00pm

June 27 – July 8 Aldershot
The West End Centre, Queens Road
Meet the Artists on Thursday, June 30th, 4.30 to 6.00pm

All written descriptions are available in large print, Braille and on audio CD.

Please call venues for admission information, Gallery Talk dates and times, and Special Events. To schedule a group tour or purchase artwork, phone Borderlands Artists on 01252 310 528. 33% of sales benefit SAVI and HACB.

GRATEFUL THANKS TO OUR FUNDERS AND SUPPORTERS: Awards for All; Hampshire & Surrey County Councils; Elmbridge, Guildford, Rushmoor, & Waverley Borough Councils; B&Q Farnborough, DefSound Studios London, Guildford Arts Centre, and Sir Ray Tindle CBE, DL; workshop & exhibition venues & volunteers; SIAD interns, Caroline Childs & Claire Anderson; Neighbourcare volunteer drivers; HACB, SAVI, & the RNIB.

Back