Urban myth or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Brown":zjppjrko said:
I got the impression that the BMW scare currently being reported involves breaking into the car and then access the on-board computer(via the OBD, maybe?) to extract the info required to clone a key.
I could be wrong, as the news reports were a bit sketchy.
Certainly all modern cars use rolling codes, and I think most lock the doors at 15MPH or thereabouts.

Tell me how do you get out of a locked car before emergency vehicles arrive, certain instances you might need to get out of car but not suffiently mobile enogh to do so? A fire could be spreading towards you for instance and staying in is not an option.

devonwoody":22idvdzf said:
John Brown":22idvdzf said:
I got the impression that the BMW scare currently being reported involves breaking into the car and then access the on-board computer(via the OBD, maybe?) to extract the info required to clone a key.
I could be wrong, as the news reports were a bit sketchy.
Certainly all modern cars use rolling codes, and I think most lock the doors at 15MPH or thereabouts.

Tell me how do you get out of a locked car before emergency vehicles arrive, certain instances you might need to get out of car but not suffiently mobile enogh to do so? A fire could be spreading towards you for instance and staying in is not an option.

Sorry, I made an ambiguous statement. I should have said "lock the doors against outside access".

Although my car locks the doors at around 15MPH, I generally manage to emerge when I come to a standstill without having to call the emergency services.
To be honest, if I had to call the emergency services every time I wanted to get out of the car, I think I'd probably choose to walk, especially for short journeys.

I assume all current fobs are radio frequency operated, some early fobs used infa red which was much more directional. But I guess the is no need for these anymore as the latest fobs are so clever and secure.

My car locks the doors just after driving off, but you can open them from the inside from the normal door handle opener or from a central switch - to release the locks for the doors, the boot and petrol filler cover. In a crash the locks are released?
I quite like this system as it prevents possible car jacking. My key fob only opens the drivers door unless you press it twice which is another nice safety feature.
The software on my car has been recently upgraded to prevent the BMW key cloning thieves?

Rod

Apparently NOT an urban myth.

I just listened to an article on Radio 4 (12pm 23.01.13 if you want to re-listen). Mainly about BMW's having their keys cloned. X5's & X6's are the worst for it. BMW reckon they contacted all owners last year warning about it, it seems most owners didn't get contacted and lots have been nicked since.

It was described exactly as in this thread earlier on, using diagnostic equipment to fool the car computer and allow it to start. I am so glad my old van isn't worth nicking :D

Triggered by another EU Set of Regs . which insists that the cars computer can be accessed by others not just BMW dealers ( to open up competition).
That means it cannot be secured with a Password, even though that could be supplied to the owner?

Other car makes are effected too but not getting the publicity.

My car was sorted a couple of months ago whilst in for a service.
I'm surprised other owners have not heard about the issue as its been well publicised on the TV and Press?

Rod

Thank goodness my 10 year old Golf doesn't have remote locking. Why the h**l does anyone need it?

On a related note, though, my bank has just replaced my debit card with one that has "contactless payment". Now, knowing nothing about the electronics, surely this must mean that the card transmits a signal to the payment thingy, which must contain data about the card? So what's to stop some lowlife with an appropriate bit of kit from intercepting this signal and getting all the necessary information to access my account?

Or am I being a paranoid luddite?

dickm":34qg82r5 said:
Thank goodness my 10 year old Golf doesn't have remote locking. Why the h**l does anyone need it?

On a related note, though, my bank has just replaced my debit card with one that has "contactless payment". Now, knowing nothing about the electronics, surely this must mean that the card transmits a signal to the payment thingy, which must contain data about the card? So what's to stop some lowlife with an appropriate bit of kit from intercepting this signal and getting all the necessary information to access my account?

Or am I being a paranoid luddite?

No you're right, I think it was Nat West that recently cancelled a similar service because it was being abused by fraudsters.

To answer your first question, I fit kitchens and bathrooms and go out to my van 20+ times a day. My remote locking fob is my friend! :wink:

My fob lock has died. Haven't replaced it as they cost £70.00 plus fitting, registering and VAT. So I am back to the old fashioned key in the lock. :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":3nb5y3nq said:
My fob lock has died. Haven't replaced it as they cost £70.00 plus fitting, registering and VAT. So I am back to the old fashioned key in the lock. :mrgreen:

your insurance company might not like that?

devonwoody":2w7h1vua said:
Benchwayze":2w7h1vua said:

your insurance company might not like that?

I thought about that Woody, but the car will lock, and the alarm still works, as they are on separate circuits. I think common sense would prevail, as long as the car can be made secure, it's irrelevant how that's achieved, was the consensus.

:D

It could just be out of sync.(assuming you've checked the battery).
On one of my ex cars, there was a way to resync, involved key in ignition and holding the unlock button down(or something along those lines).

dickm":1txw2trm said:
So what's to stop some lowlife with an appropriate bit of kit from intercepting this signal and getting all the necessary information to access my account?

I think the idea is that the card really does need to be quite close to the pad to work, so said lowlife would have to either touch the pad to your pocket - presumably while it was still connected to the bank via a high-speed communications line - or steal your card to touch to the pad.

(How well this works in practice, I don't know.)

As to remote locking, my girlfriend certainly appreciates it when I drive her places in the rain - it means she can get in the car while I'm still locking the front door (which still requires an old-fashioned turn-the-key-in-the-lock action for some reason. ;-)

Benchwayze":1txw2trm said:
I think common sense would prevail

Clearly you've not had many dealings with insurance companies recently.

I am referring to key-less ignition systems, where the car unlocks as you approach it.

I remember seeing a news report where they had picked up the code from a fob by standing next to some one and relayed it back to the car, opening the doors and allowing you to start and run the car.
The scary thing is that the car will run without the signal from the fob, because if the battery in the fob went flat you wouldn't want the car stopping in the fast lane.

Pete

Racers":1ojrrlqy said:
I am referring to key-less ignition systems, where the car unlocks as you approach it.

The scary thing is that the car will run without the signal from the fob, because if the battery in the fob went flat you wouldn't want the car stopping in the fast lane.

Pete

My car is a Renault and will run if key not in the car but try and drive and it only runs at about 8 miles and hour and it beeps and squeals and makes all sorts of protests. Dropped my son off at the bus stop once after he got in the car before me. He inocently put key in his pocket. I left him at bus stop and got 30 yards to traffic lights had to leave it in the middle of road with hazzards on and run back and bang on the bus door driver thought I was mad :oops: :lol: :lol:

Hi, Russell

So what happens if the battery runs out in the fast lane? its something I would like to know not find out!

Pete

JakeS":1q7ffdll said:
dickm":1q7ffdll said:
So what's to stop some lowlife with an appropriate bit of kit from intercepting this signal and getting all the necessary information to access my account?

I think the idea is that the card really does need to be quite close to the pad to work, so said lowlife would have to either touch the pad to your pocket - presumably while it was still connected to the bank via a high-speed communications line - or steal your card to touch to the pad.

(How well this works in practice, I don't know.)

As to remote locking, my girlfriend certainly appreciates it when I drive her places in the rain - it means she can get in the car while I'm still locking the front door (which still requires an old-fashioned turn-the-key-in-the-lock action for some reason. ;-)

Benchwayze":1q7ffdll said:
I think common sense would prevail

Clearly you've not had many dealings with insurance companies recently.

Your point is a given Jake, but in the case of a broken key fob, all it says in my conditions is I must lock the car when leaving it unattended. So I am complying.

Incidentally, when I told one Rep that the best insurance was to make my house burglar-proof, he agreed! Lol!

Racers":1jis81uq said:
Hi, Russell

So what happens if the battery runs out in the fast lane? its something I would like to know not find out!

Pete

I have cut holes in the floor so we can all run like hell like the Ant hill mob on wacky races just in case that happens :lol: :lol:

I honestly have no idea and have no wish to find out the hard way think I will ask the dealers at the next service

Back