UPVC windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an American system Allan. The outer pane is sealed to the frame with silicon and the inner is sealed against a soft rubber seal with dessicant inside. What's the difference in practise to a sealed unit?
Sealed units fail 'cos the seal fails due to differential movement between the two panes, thus mounting two sealed but separate panes should, in theory, solve that problem.
Even if vapour does enter the dessicant should absorb a certain amount, beyond that the inner pane is removeable for cleaning and renewing of the dessicant.
as you say, time will tell.
Rod. According to my reading the likely cause is the seal has failed, then the air inside expands and contracts with temp changes, this sucks water vapour in which then condenses to a liquid.

Roy.

I have had a couple fail, both were on windows that opened daily, also the mastic had gone rock hard, they lasted 11 years.

When you watch these TV programmes where people have spent thousands on glass walls etc it makes me cringe!

Roy.

Well so far so good. There is a distinct temp difference in temp between inner and out glass panes. Due to a nover boiled pan in the kitchen this evening we were steamed up in kitchen and living room, but the DG one was clear.

Roy.

woodbloke":eet0ep17 said:
I like plastic windows...no rubbing down or painting :evil: :evil: :evil: - Rob

Me too Rob, have spent too many weeks of my life painting and repainting and repairing wooden windows and frames, life's too short !

Agree that in more traditional/classical settings they can look massively out of place, but just having the last of our own windows and doors replaced tomorrow after a couple of weeks of disruption having them all done and the soffits, fascias and guttering too \:D/ .

An amazing difference to the old everest powder coated ali' framed double glazed units that must have been 20 to 25 years old (pre us and we have been here around 15 years), where a lot of the units had failed and the wooden surrounds were rotting out. Much cleaner, smarter and tidier now inside and out, and the quietness and warmth is striking, not to mention increased security and lack of ongoing maintenance :D

Got the two windows and door on the workshop done too, so don't have to have 2x4's and ply shuttering tool boards over the windows for security, sealed double glazed units with obscured glass and the workshop light levels are transformed. Now just rearranging everything in there having had to take stuff down and move around to give access for the work, a big job in itself ! The level of security on the door is amazing too (not the big front access doors which are semi-permanently blocked up, the side door) with multiple locking points and hinge bolts. Should make it much warmer to work in over the winter too as the old units in the garage were single skin, already feels much more pleasant.

Not suitable for every type of property appearance wise, but exceptionally good and practical for many/most, if decent quality and design are chosen imho.

Cheers, Paul

I've just painted my front windows again. I last did them 20 years ago, so the total time spent averages out very nicely. They are timber double-hung sashes from 1897.
No rot, no woodworm. I don't think PVC windows will last that long.

If there was any rot or damage, I could easily and cheaply mend it - not so with plastic. Timber is a renewable resource - PVC is not.

the only reason why you get condensation inside is

Also a lack of ventilation in a room where people are breathing ..lol

Like in a bedroom with no air or trickle vents for example

Same here Andy. I was at a friend's house this morning, in their garden, and this is a modern brick bungalow. The weather has spalled the bricks and removed the pointing. This doesn't happen with timber!

Roy.

Back