UPVc Window Seals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Worker

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to replace the rubber gaskets (bubble gasket) in a UPVc window. I noticed the rubber in a few of my windows were really deteriorated and needed renewing. They are Rehau windows 25 years old. I bought some Stormguard buble seal and started to fit it. I really struggled to get the new seal in and am now wondering if its too big. Most buble seals I can see on the internet are 5mm wide at the fixing point as I thought it was a standard size. Any one have experience of this?

I have just measured a bit of the old one, most of its so deteriorated its hard to find a bit intact. It is smaller than the Stormguard seal which I thought was generic. The stormguard is 5mm at the fixing point wheras the old bit I salvaged is only 4mm. But it is hard to find any that size and at a reasonable price. :(

I have a bucket of the stuff as I slowly work my way round the house fixing bits and pieces.

I find the trick is getting it started by "threading" it in, cutting it at an angle and using the back of a knife (cheap IKEA cutlery knife not your finest Japanese steel cleaver) I hook the end in with some persuasion with knife. I then push it along and into the slot until the end where I want it and a couple of inches are in proper. Once that's achieved it goes in okay, some bits are tricky so I move on until I have gone all the way round. I the revisit with knife have another go at the problem areas typical as they are fixed at both ends it's not so bad and they go in.

Probably doing it all kinds of wrong but hey, it's in and I didn't tear any holes or anything.

Edit. Haven't resorted to it but on tubeless bike tyres a squirt of soapy water helps lubricate them for popping onto the rim. I don't see why it would be any different on window seals.

I would personally go to a window manufacturer and ask if they can help. I would also get in touch with Reddiseals and ask them to send me a sample selection of Schlegel seals which they have done for me in the past (you may need to pay for postage).

Louis

There are thousands of different seals, I would contact the manufacturer to try and narrow it down to at least a few.
Many look identical/some have erroneous details on the web.

A silicone or soap spray will help with insertion.

I did my uPVC kitchen door and a single uPVC window both using the Stormguard uPVC universal black seal on a 20m roll from Toolstation at £18. The biggest problem I found was doing the windows, which had seals both on the frame and window itself and were difficult/awkward to access. Needless to say I'm putting off doing the rest of the windows... for now.

First of all make sure you get the correct size gasket, measure and cut your piece to length before you start, if you struggle to get it started try a water/fairy-liquid mix in a spray bottle, only use wooden or plastic tools and be very careful not to scratch the glass, also don’t pull or stretch the rubber. Start at each end and work to the middle, if it stretches gaps will appear in the corners after time.

Last edited:
First of all make sure you get the correct size gasket, measure and cut your piece to length before you start, if you struggle to get it started try a water/fairy-liquid mix in a spray bottle, only use wooden or plastic tools and be very careful not to scratch the glass, also don’t pull or stretch the rubber. Start at each end and work to the middle, if it stretches gaps will appear in the corners after time.

I was taught to cut the gasket an inch (at least) overlong per foot of gap, and start the ends, go to the middle, then halfway between end and middle, and so on until it's all in.

Back