Upside down sharpening ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks to be a very nicely engineered way to greatly improve the chances of cutting your fingers whilst sharpening.

How does it cope with gouges or carving tools?

I have an ancient Elu combined grinder / linisher which works on exactly this principle, though it doesn't have the sophisticated angle finding gizmo, and it works brilliantly, once it's initially set up - sharpening angles established by measuring extension from blade holder using a very simple jig, that also sets the blade square to the jig. Excellent for re-habbing car boot chisels. 'Upside down' isn't a problem.

Is it like the water going down the plug hole? When you get to the equator, does the jig turn the other way up?

You did note it was an Australian site.

Upside-down is how we all sharpen downunder.... don't we Derek?!

I'll get me coat....

Cheers, Vann.

It seems beautifully made, but I fail to see the point of it all. Perhaps the way we stand here in Oz is sending all the blood to my head? :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blister":2vntxfly said:
I came across this while surfing today :-

http://www.sharpeningguide.com.au/

there is a pdf file also that shows it a bit better :-

http://www.sharpeningguide.com.au/Guides.html

Just wondered if anyone has one and if it works or not

any thoughts ?

Utter straw man in the blurb.

site":2vntxfly said:
Also they[Most all honing guides] clamp on the flat face of the tool using the back side of the tool as the reference face.

Yeah - no prior jig has EVER referenced that way. Wait, hang on, I know several...

There are some knife sharpening jigs that also have the stone face down - notably the edge pro, and its competitors/clones. The noted issue is that the lubricant tends to fall off, a particular issue if using a waterstone that exploits a slurry.

BugBear

I have an Edge Pro that I use mainly for knives and the occasional small awkward iron. It uses thin mounted Waterstones and/or diamond plates which don't require much lubrication.
The professional version will also sharpen plane irons and chisels.

Rod

Oh dear, another over engineered and no doubt seriously expensive piece of kit which is totally unnecessary for the simple task of sharpening your tools.

Andy

andersonec":luv5iyoj said:
Oh dear, another over engineered and no doubt seriously expensive piece of kit which is totally unnecessary for the simple task of sharpening your tools.

Andy

$488 Australian

£370 UKP

yer right :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back