Quantcast

Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I moved into my new workshop I mentioned that there may be rats in the old wood store. Well one rat has managed to sneak its way into the workshop :eek: and it has brought with it a plunge bar and cutters. Yes, it’s no ordinary rat - it’s a WoodRat.

Dave from WoodRat contacted me to see if I wanted to review one and of course I said yes. In the past I’ve always thought the WoodRat looked too complicated so haven’t taken much notice of it. When it’s mentioned on the forums you always get a 50/50 response and normally triggers a big comparison between rat owners and router table users.

As I’m a big router table fan, I think it’s going to be interesting to see how the WoodRat compares - and if it’s really as great as the rat owners make out.

The package arrived last week and because my workshop was being temporarily used for storage by the builders I had to wait until Saturday to unpack it and set it up but at least it gave me chance to read through some of the manual! I don’t want to give too much away and spoil the upcoming review but I’d thought I’d share some pics of my first results.

This was the first joint I tried and if I say so myself, it’s a perfect sliding dovetail. Surely the WoodRat can’t be this simple? Normally I would do this on the router table and then finish of with a tenon saw. On the WoodRat it takes half the time and effort.

My first box/finger joint and it hasn’t turned out too bad. A few gaps, but still a strong joint.

My second attempt at a box joint. Sharpened my pencil and took my time. Apart from a bit of tear out, it’s a perfect joint.

So is the WoodRat easy to use or have I just been lucky so far? Well that’s what I’m hoping to find out - but so far I’m very impressed…

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley - looks like you have seen the light!

Secret mitred dovetails are a bit more complicated but the same principals apply! :wink:

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh, Charley. In danger of coming over to the Dark Side, eh? :shock: Great results; looking forward to more. :D

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Have you been yelling at your router or summat that it shoud need ear defenders? :wink:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Blimey Charley..... Sssshhhh you are supposed to be impartial.... all the Leigh-Luddites will be around to smash it up if you are not careful :twisted:

Adam

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we need a dedicated woodrat forum here, what with the demise of the official forum and all that.

Andrew

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
do you get to keep the rat after your "review"

??
:lol:

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
lol Alf, in fact I've just realised when you mentioned the router that the pic was a drive by, secret gloat (so secret I didn't even know) as the router is a new one I bought the other day.

Funnily enough for the dust extraction system I quickly knocked together is from my router table :wink: it's attached to my vac but doesn't work very well :cry: I'm going to look through the APTC catalogue (aka the bible) today to see if I can find a adaptor to make my dust extractor fit.

I would be interested to see what you fellow rat owners have done to control the dust.

kityuser, unfortunately I have to send it back so I can't get to attached to it.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
on such a note I noticed that more and more reviews are being posted in the forum but not in the UKW reviews page :?

could we not paste some of them into the reviews section?

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
If you look at the review section you can see that many members reviews are there. As always I am more then happy to upload your reviews as long as they have photos and are fairly detailed but remember the review section on the forum was created so members can post their own reviews.

A

Anonymous

you can add an extractor by simply put the hose in one rear end of the channel and close the other 3 sides with a piece of polystyreen

Tennessee

Reaction score
I built a box that I mounted to the wall. The box allows me to have 2 storrage compartments, one on each end of the box. The center of the box is sealed off and is where the dust port is located. I cut a 3 inch hole in the bottom of the box and mounted a 4 inch dust fitting to the outside of the bottom over the hole. I then connected a 4" hose to that fitting which is connected to my cyclone dust collector system. Works like a dream.

Latest posts