Update on the Desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted pictures of the cherry that I bought to make the LOML a desk from. Last time it was just some roughly sized boards waiting for more attention. I have had a little time so heres what I have done:
Dscn2401s.jpg

Timber sized fore the 3 panels that make up the cabinet, one set moulded, grooved and mortised.
Dscn2408s.jpg

I made up one of the panel frames, however my measuring was not up to standard :oops:
Dscn2413s.jpg

That the first time I remember ever cutting something too long.
Dscn2414s.jpg

Well having sorted the frame out I started on the panels, just a fraction over size, I must of stood on some grease at this point :wink:
Dscn2416s.jpg

But back to the tailed devils, I have an Axminster panel raising cutter, however my Trend router table will not allow it to drop though the hole.
Dscn2417s.jpg

A MDF false top and fence guard is the answer.
Dscn2422s.jpg

The panels where raised and fit nicely.
Dscn2421s.jpg

just 2 more like this to make :D

Dave,
Progress indeed! I bet you were glad that you had measured that stile too long - unless of course everything else is too short?

It's probably the photo but I can't actually see where the panels in the assembly have been raised. Looking at the grain - these look like one piece rather than glued up panels?

Hi Dave

That's a great start. Lucky about it being too long. It never happens to me.

waterhead37":3cnk45kl said:
It's probably the photo but I can't actually see where the panels in the assembly have been raised. Looking at the grain - these look like one piece rather than glued up panels?

I have the same problem as Chris, it must be the camera angle!!

Cheers
Neil

Yep, some nice work and a lovely selection of cherry there, Dave. :wink:

Bet that oils up nice!! What finish will you use?

(note to self..)I really must get round to making something out of timber other than PINE ...

Look forward to seeing next installment..

Gary

Newbie_Neil":3cmahilq said:
waterhead37":3cmahilq said:

I have the same problem as Chris, it must be the camera angle!!

Well its not the camera angle, the raised field is on the back of the panel. Charles Durfee who wrote the article on the desk I am following says its in the Shaker style.
Chris is also correct in saying the panels are one piece. I have cherry wide enough to do it and the in the pictures of the desk that Charles made he used single boards as well. They are quite light panels, only 3/8" beveled down to 1/4" so I am hoping that the frames will resist any wrapping they feel like doing.

Gary H":21suk7rq said:
Bet that oils up nice!! What finish will you use?

I have some Liberon finishing oil which I have used with much success on other things and I think it should come up nice. :D

Back