UPDATE ( Doctors Orders !!!! )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

I have now been back to the hospital for my scan results and was told the following

The results of the scan show what looks like a Benign Cyst in you sinus canal , also the scan shows that your Septum is out of line due to a previously broken nose :lol: ( Youth )
I am now happy to discharge you back to your Doctor unless you ask for a operation but at the moment I don't see the need , I will write to your Doctor telling them its is OK to prescribe the 2 nasal sprays you are currently using " some patient remain on these sprays permanently , they do no long term harm

I asked about hobby woodturning / woodworking and was told " anything with dust should be avoided as it will aggravate your Respiratory tract " and may lead to further problems :?

Yes BUT :( BUT :( :( But :| ,

Now what do I do :?:

Good news and Bad news.
Glad its nowt tooo serious, hobbies aside.
Surely a quality dust mask / extraction system will do the job? I would have thought a stroll down a country lane in summer would put more dust up yer nose than what gets passed a good filter?
edit: one of these effectively puts you outside the building :)

I know they are horrendously expensive but what about one of the 3M powered respirators - you know the old dustmaster equivalent?

The Trend is only P2 rated whereas those are P3 if you get the right bits and surely then you would be sufficiently protected?

Great news that it's nothing serious.

Alan your damaging exposure may not be coming from direct contact when in the shop.

House dust, contaminated clothing, both from when in your shop or at work when changing or putting it in the washing machine etc.

But also remember that with some woods it's the chemicals released from the woods that are as reactionary as the dust itself and a P3 and/or chemical spec. might be needed.

My main exposure these days comes from emptying the extractors and vacuum cleaners, and remember the house or shop cleaner may not have hepa standard filtration, a guy down the road from me regularly cleaned his air filter screens with a cheap household vac. until I pointed out by putting a rag over his vac outlet that he was just spraying it all around the shop again .

It is blooming hard to know what to do when you are in that situation all the manufactures promises aside if their not sufficient then it could be to late with irreversibly damage done I would say this needs expert advice and not just an opinion.
That aside Blister I'm pleased for you that you can still have a good quality of life and sad that you may have to stop turning I cant imagine how you must feel but I'm sure you will be wise and make the right decision for you and your family good luck

As said Alan good and bad news.
I have the 3m mask and dust extraction right where i work and as close to the work piece as i can get it,and as i said before i have noticed sores up my nose when working in the shop turning or flat work.
Those pens i turned last week was just a little experiment for me to see if i would get a sore nose after,and i have.
Not as bad as when i would turn a bowl or summat else large,but is this coincidence??
I have worked with wood though since leaving school and in a lot of the time we never had proper extraction so this could be going back to those days??

Blister, I'm almost sorry about what I am about to write but feel that all"ideas" have merit so here goes.

The quacks have left you with a dilemma. They won't tell you yes keep going with your hobby because if you then had a horrendous illness they would be culpable and liable to be sued. It's probably got less to do with illness than it has to do with insurance and liability.

My dumb idea comes from a time when I built devices to manufacture radioactive isotope rods, dodecahedrons and other esoteric stuff. The very final handling stage required delicate human handling with all of the attendant protection to human cell tissue.

What we ended up with was a work cell divided from the natural world by metal screens, In your case wooden screens. There was a transparent face plate about 6ft tall and 6ft wide and it was operated via gloves which contained lead and other metals to prevent irradiation of extremities.

The idea is simple if you can't mask yourself from the wood dust then build a room to hold your lathe with a large face screen. The face screen would have holes fitted with gloves, the whole being air sealed to floor, walls and ceiling. Your DE would be focussed inside the space and exhaust to the outside creating a negative pressure such that air went from outside the cell into the cell. You would need to operate from the gloves.

It could be built fairly cheaply
The contours of then cell could be pretty close to the lathe so the reach was not too much
The gloves might be a problem but maybe obtain from medical sources

I know it sounds stupid but !!

AL
Giggling slightly but thinking maybe.

nev":13x47d5e said:
Good news and Bad news.
Glad its nowt tooo serious, hobbies aside.
Surely a quality dust mask / extraction system will do the job? I would have thought a stroll down a country lane in summer would put more dust up yer nose than what gets passed a good filter?
edit: one of these effectively puts you outside the building :)

Nev , I phone the company regarding the The Martindale (Negative Pressure) Unassisted Fresh Air system - [CE-M26/400] and the gent on the phone said

" I am not aware of that product " so I told him it was on the company he works for web site , he then looked it up . I asked several questions about the turbine " Don't know " and asked if the visor would steam up " Don't know " I then asked if anyone else in the company was more up to date on this product ? he then said hold on a moment I will ask my college , so I held on , he then came back on the phone and said " my college is unable to help " I asked if the price included the turbine " sorry I don't think so not sure "

At this point I gave up :|

CHJ":11yvacw9 said:
Alan your damaging exposure may not be coming from direct contact when in the shop.

House dust, contaminated clothing, both from when in your shop or at work when changing or putting it in the washing machine etc.

But also remember that with some woods it's the chemicals released from the woods that are as reactionary as the dust itself and a P3 and/or chemical spec. might be needed.

My main exposure these days comes from emptying the extractors and vacuum cleaners, and remember the house or shop cleaner may not have hepa standard filtration, a guy down the road from me regularly cleaned his air filter screens with a cheap household vac. until I pointed out by putting a rag over his vac outlet that he was just spraying it all around the shop again .

Chas , out of interest what do you use when in the workshop ?

Nothing like good service to give you confidence in a product :roll:

Using my amazing powers of deduction again (i.e. google :wink: ) i think the main supplier/ distributor for martindale may be these people http://www.centurionsafety.eu/products/ ... rotection/
looking at the 'contact us' page there is a ... Martindale Business Development & Technical Service Manager ... amongst a whole host of others.
could be worth a call next week?
all the best :)

Blister":a9fa7tl2 said:
Chas , out of interest what do you use when in the workshop ?

The older style 3M item Alan,the biggest factor I find is that the filter input being away from the machine means that you get less chemical exposure {unless you've been eating baked beans :) } and I've not had any significant reactions since both upping my extraction to outside and using it.

When I feel any effects of dust reaction it's usually because I have not been careful and washed my hands or had a shower after a really dusty session.

If the turbo unit of my system ever packs up I might be tempted to feed the lightweight mask from outside of the shop rather than fork out another £500 for the latest versions.

Googling brought up the following amongst others

http://www.livestrong.com/article/12086 ... s-cavity/s

http://noseandsinus.com/nasalpolyps.html

and this was reassuring "Nasal polyps are not cancerous and do not increase your risk of developing nasal cancer in the future." from the NHS advice here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Polyps-nos ... ction.aspx

You need to do your own research Alan but I would be tempted to proceed with caution using the sprays and taking all sensible precautions with your turning and see how you get on ?

Cheers, Paul

paulm":3az7xkla said:
Googling brought up the following amongst others

http://www.livestrong.com/article/12086 ... s-cavity/s

http://noseandsinus.com/nasalpolyps.html

and this was reassuring "Nasal polyps are not cancerous and do not increase your risk of developing nasal cancer in the future." from the NHS advice here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Polyps-nos ... ction.aspx

You need to do your own research Alan but I would be tempted to proceed with caution using the sprays and taking all sensible precautions with your turning and see how you get on ?

Cheers, Paul

Paul Thanks for the links , this sums me up 95%

Nasal cysts commonly cause inflammation and swelling in the sinus cavity, leading to sinus infections. Many symptoms of nasal cysts are the same as sinusitis, and include nasal discharge in the form of a runny nose or postnasal drip, chronic sinus congestion, nasal obstruction, loss of smell and taste, sinus pressure pain and snoring. I dont sleep well and on occasions I have woken myself up snoring :oops:

As has been said we carry a lot of dust out of the workshop on our clothes hair etc. One turner I know who has a bad reaction to some dust has a series of measures to combat taking it into the house etc.

He has a clean area at the entrance to his workshop this is basically a porch with the front of it covered with those heavy plastic strips, so it is more outside than inside. In this he puts on disposable overalls THIS that are dustproof. He then puts the hood up and a pair of shoes he only uses in the workshop and lastly a very good full face air helmet. He is then ready to go into the workshop.

When coming out he cleans as much dust of as possible before leaving the shop and entering the clean area and doing everything in reverse. It is a bit of an ordeal but it allows him to continue his hobby.

john

Allen I had a system similar to what CHJ. had and would agree that it is by far better than the Trend or JP helmet type headgear and definitely lighter.

I gave mine to somebody only last week . Get one ,well worth the money .Will give you a ring tomorrow .

Allan

I've been using a Sundstrom SR500 respirator just lately, c/w the SR530 hood. It can be a little hot to wear but the hood does prevent dust from settling in the head and neck, quite important in my view, and it very effectively filters the dust from the breathing air. It doesn't however give much impact protection; certainly not against the big lumps of wood you put on that lovely big lathe of yours.

Sundstrom, as do 3M, provide a whole range of filters including chemical and P3, which, I think, can be combined for improved protection. By choice, I would have purchased the 3M Versaflo system but, being tight, I bought the Sundstrom instead at a very good price through a well known auction site. Axi sell the Versaflo system so you can always have a look at it, or 3M do a try-before-you-buy scheme for trade customers which you may be able to take advantage of.

Good luck with it all!

Duncan

I am useing the same as chas, the 3M dustmaster and find it works well. I still have to be carefull when de dusting my clothes before I go in the house. And then I make sure I have a shower quite quickly to decontaminate myself of dust. Have you thought about makeing a system that pumps air from outside to a visor. On a medical note I asked my doctor for some strong antihistimines to help prevent any inflamation up my nose and sinus area. Seems to be working quite well.
Mark

Latest posts

Back