Up north

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen Quay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a hobby woodworker with limited space (a small shed), limited tools and a very limited budget, but trying to make something from a few pieces of wood is very satisfying! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed after seeing pics of some amazing projects that people on here have made, but I'm hoping to pick up plenty of tips from all the experience and knowledge on the forum, to help me on my making journey.

Tony

Yup.
Each component is an object in its own right, and while you may need space to assemble a big piece of furniture, it is made out of mostly smaller bits that are then assembled.
The important bit is the design, and knowing what each component is before you start.
Knowing what you need it is only then a matter of producing that component to the highest standard you possibly can.
Trial and error is always acceptable. Mess up one piece, then make another, but within reason try not to make too many mistakes.

Hi - definitely no need to feel overwhelmed. Just keep enjoying working with wood, learn from each thing you make and you will soon have people in awe.

Welcome Allen, I think one of the wonderful things about woodwork is that it can be enjoyed on a small scale for very little outlay, so enjoy! Ian
I hadn't thought of it like that, it's a good point. I guess woodwork can be enjoyed at a variety of different levels (y)

I'm not far from Blyth, just a few miles away (y) I'm also a member of Blyth Man Shed which opened recently (in July) and has helped to get me motivated about woodworking again :)

I popped along to their open evening in the summer - it looked good but I lost the paperwork and life (kids) got in the way!! I may well come back in one night.

Hi everyone, I'm a hobby woodworker with limited space (a small shed), limited tools and a very limited budget, but trying to make something from a few pieces of wood is very satisfying! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed after seeing pics of some amazing projects that people on here have made, but I'm hoping to pick up plenty of tips from all the experience and knowledge on the forum, to help me on my making journey
Tony
Hi Alan
Welcome from a fellow member who only joined up a few weeks ago.
I can remember working in a very small garden shed making a dolls house for my 2 daughters. What a joy. I am now throughly enjoying my early retirement having progressed to having a small workshop with router table, planer thicknesser, pillar drill and an assortment of power tools together with a decent single garage which houses my mitre saw and table saw. Rest assured I would never have believed I would have ammassed such a collection of tools which have enabled me to gain a ever growing skill base and produce a variety of projects. The most recent ( last week) being a folding table in my garage which already is extremely useful. Your skills and techniques will I'm sure improve massively with each project you complete. If theres one piece of advice I can give you , DONT remove guards from machinery. As one instructor told me whislt I was starting my engineering apprenticeship which stayed with me today. AMPUTATION OR MUTILATION.
All the very best for your skill journey.

Back