Up Loading

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have never uploaded anything on to the web, but as you guys have made such a good job of showing you workshop and projects to the rest of us, i now want to do the same too. The only trouble is i do not know how to do it.
Bearing this in mind is there anyone who could give me few tips on how i can achieve it?

I only have a dial up connection at the moment, will this hinder my progress? If so would i be better off getting broadband?

Any advice will be appreciated

Regards

Mike.C

Mike,

Adam and others are your best bet. But, here's how I do it with dial-up:
1) Take a picture
2) Register for the free service at www.uploadit.org
3) Download from your camera in the normal way. If you have XP just stick it in the usual My Docs pictures folder. Now the tricky bit - size of the image is important especially with dial-up. I prefer full super detail etc resolution on the camera. This will make the file very large and, in my limited experience, the freebie uploadit account does not like big files and using dial-up doesn't help either. I think no matter your camera setting regarding size it needs to be reduced to post on the forums anyway otherwise you will have to scroll about 2 miles in an Easterly direction to see the complete image.
4) As I don't have any image reducing software and I know there's freeware / shareware about but I'm quite happy doing this. I email the image to myself using the "reduce file size" option. Then once it's in my inbox save it back to My Docs picture folder with a quick rename.
5) Back to uploadit, open the up-load page, click browse which will automatically take you to your picture folder, select the reduced by email image, click open and the details appear in the little window. Click upload, about 30 secs later you'll get an "upload successful" note. Ensure there are no punctuation or gaps in the image label or it will request you to rename.
6) Click on "view it" to see the image (once you return to this page the image will be in the "uploaded files" list at the bottom of the page). Right click on the image to get properties, highlight and copy the URL.
7) Open the "new topic" box on a forum, click "img" above the box, Ctrl + v to paste the URL that you copied and then close the line with another "img". Ensure there are no gaps between the URL and the two "img"s.

There, simple. Doesn't always work for me, only because I'm useless at such things but success most of the time. I'm sure there's a more straight forward and simpler method, but I'm happy with this approach.

Rgds

Noel

Reading through the forums on here I notice this question comes up on a regular basis so it might be an idea to make this thread a 'sticky' as Noely has explained it so well ? Just an idea :idea: :wink:

I keep meaning to write a Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced "How to post a picture" message. Perhaps I need to get going with that.

Adam

Mike

Assuming you get free web space with your ISP company, you can simply log on to their FTP site using an FTP client such as CuteFTP (I use Directory Opus which replaces Windows Explorer and looks the same) and then copy and paste the pictures to your allocated web space. This is how all of my pictures are posted.
Clearly size is an issue as Noel has already pointed out.

my ISP is BTInternet and with them I get 50MB of web space for free and there are full details on how to access it on their website.

To open your own web based folder, you open the FTP client and then type in the FTP adress which is something like 'ftp.btinternet.com/pub' and enter your user name and password into the approriate boxes (these are the same ones you use to connect tothe internet).
In Directory Opus I then see two 'windows' with a directory tree down the right like this:

Directory_Opus.jpg

I simply drag files from the right pane (my PC) into the left pane (Btinternet folder) and that's that!!

Easier than it sounds

Cheers

Tony

Hi All,

Noely i really do apprciate the trouble you have gone too.

Tony thanks very much for your advice.
It appears that you have printed your Opus Directory over part of your message, or wasn't this meant to be part of it?

Once i have taken some photo's i will post them but this won't be until i have finished decorating the workshop.

Thanks again to you both. Lets just that i can put it to good use.

Regards

Mike.C

HI Dave,

What i should of said is i am revamping the workshop eg. ripping the plaster board down and replacing it with 12mm ply, all 20 sheets of it, because I am fed up of trying to find somewhere to put a screw.

Regards

Mike.C

Hi Mike,

It becomes clear :)
Do you need to rip the plaster board down? Why not put the ply over it, this I think would provide slightly better insulation, both sound and heat for your workshop. Only losing 12mm on each surface and avoid having to depose of 20 mangled sheets of plaster board :cry:

Back