Unusual raspberry behavior?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
I don't profess to be much of a gardener and prefer to put what little effort I make into things I like to eat.
I've been growing raspberries for years and know the difference between Summer fruiting (fruit forms on last years growth) and Autumn fruiting (fruit forms on this years growth).

This year my summer fruiting canes produced fruit quite early May & June and the new growth that should be ready for next years fruit are already covered in fruit and we are already starting to pick.

The Autumn fruiting ones are behaving normally just a little earlier than normal.

So what is happening it is just the weather pattern confusing them? I suppose I'm in for little fruit next year after two fruiting sessions this year.

Anyone else getting this? I'm in southern Hampshire.

It's an odd year. I've already eaten fruit from our apple tree, which is normally only ready in early October.

Here the fruiting season has been distorted but crops have been on the whole good. (as has veg.)

Red currants cropped well likewise blackcurrants,
Blackberry has been fruiting a couple of weeks, earlier than the local wild ones.

Loganberries have been a heavy crop on lots of wood thrown up last year. they did not suffer from lack of water which usually sees fruit failing to swell, which was surprising considering the hot days just as they were filling out, it's a problem some seasons. New growth for next year is rather sparse.

Main summer raspberry bed cropped poorly and new growth is poor, think it's time to out them and sort the bed out.

Self-set Autumn Bliss/cross? that took over a waste plot north of the greenhouse and outside of the fruit cage cropped well on last years old wood I failed to clear out and this years wood appears to have reasonable flowers forming. They have done this several years running .

Back