Unusual project???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been watching the forum for a while and have been very impressed by the quality of much of the work and the friendly, good advice given here so I thought I would introduce myself and try to post a few pics of a telescope I built a while ago.

Cheers
Mike

scope.jpg

finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

I hope this works but please let me know if it doesn't and I'll try again !!

If anyone is interested in further construction details, they are here:

www.thelodge1.karoo.net/recreation/Astr ... ilding.htm

Mike

Nice looking telescope.
Did you get a good look at mars earlier in the week?

Andy

Thanks for the comments

Telescope looks great-how long is it? Looks pretty big!
Overall length is about 1.5m, the primary mirror is 300mm

Welcome. That looks like something Tony will be very interested in. Do you have any pictures taken through it?
It's not really much use for photography as it's not motorised (maybe another project some day)

Did you get a good look at mars earlier in the week?
I have to confess I haven't used it for ages! Best views I've had are of Jupiter and Saturn

Mike

Nice one, Mike. Looks like a fine bit of woodworking, as well as a fine scope. That tilting mount looks like precision engineering.

I can't tell from the pictures - does it have a swivelling base, or do you just lift and re-orient it?

Pete (waiting for the end of the deluge in London for a hint of clear skies)

Pete W":2xk9f31d said:
I can't tell from the pictures - does it have a swivelling base, or do you just lift and re-orient it?

Thanks Pete

The tilting mechanism did take some making, the curved bearings were routed out of birch ply and run on PTFE pads. They run very smoothly but the final touch will be to glue formica onto the wooden surface.

The whole box sits on a floor stand with three bearings (pinched from router bits) so it rotates freely.

Cheers
Mike

CNC Paul":3odbd1du said:
Mike,

I have a friend in the USA who is very interested in building a telescope, may I give him your details ?

Regards

CNC Paul

Sure,

I'd be happy to help if I can

Mike

Back