Unusual plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought that the whole range of handplanes had been scrutinised, praised or dismissed on this forum but this one is a new one on me.

That's mine, got two of them from an antique shop near us. No idea why, they were there and it seemed rude not to buy them.
I was going to keep both but I've already got a few that size and I know I'll never use them all so having a bit of a clear out.

I've never seen or heard of that as a brand.
Is it more meaningful in some foreign language?

New to me too.

Saw another "Never seen or heard of the brand before!" plane within the last two weeks but of course now I can't remember the name.

Whisky.... I see you are using a cyclone on top of a blue drum.

I guess that this is one of those watertight drums we see used for rafting?

I used exactly the same configuration.... the drum was a quality(?) version.

The idea was great... but.... when the vac tube blocked (e.g. sucked on a large piece of wood... or...) the drum collapsed... totally!

I straightened it out again... and placed a ring 'corset' inside the drum.... and it collapsed again... just more 'elegantly'.

What did you do to avoid this?

BTW... I got a mild steel paper bin.... and now all is fine. The vac (FESTOOL shop vac) will pick up anything... I have to check my fingers and toes.

-g-

That's my photo from gumtree that whiskywill used, just to illustrate the plane. The barrel is one of the sealed ones with a metal spring clip affair and I've got it attached to a vax wet and dry cleaner. The suction isn't great which is probably what's saving the drum but that said, it'll cope with any of my machines apart from the thicknesser which always needs a sweep up afterwards.
When the hose blocks, and it does occasionally, the note of the vax changes and I've always had time to deal with it before anything happens. A safety valve is next on the list though once I've got a more permanent set up in place. At the moment I wheel the dust collection bits and pieces next to whatever I'm using at the time.
I like the vax cleaners because they appear on gumtree a lot for about a tenner so it doesn't matter too much if they don't last too long. Bloody noisy though.

CONGER":93h0h2ta said:
Whisky.... I see you are using a cyclone on top of a blue drum.

I guess that this is one of those watertight drums we see used for rafting?

I used exactly the same configuration.... the drum was a quality(?) version.

The idea was great... but.... when the vac tube blocked (e.g. sucked on a large piece of wood... or...) the drum collapsed... totally!

I straightened it out again... and placed a ring 'corset' inside the drum.... and it collapsed again... just more 'elegantly'.

What did you do to avoid this?

BTW... I got a mild steel paper bin.... and now all is fine. The vac (FESTOOL shop vac) will pick up anything... I have to check my fingers and toes.

-g-
Take a look here :)

viewtopic.php?t=99293

Back