Unusual plane, what is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
not mine, just found it for sale. curious what it is.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 1,297
First thing that came to mind was some kind of door hinge plane, but I really don't know honestly :?

That's really weird. I can't recall ever seeing anything like that. Just when you think you know a little bit about old tools, a curve ball like this comes crashing in!
Do you know anything more about it?

I'd guess that it was made by a pattern maker for his own use, and may well have been for routing out shallow gains for hinges or other metal parts. Remember that pattern makers spent their time making shapes like this for casting in metal, so they would have had the skills and easy access to foundry facilities.

I'm sure it is not a chamfer plane. I have a chamfer plane like that - there's a bevel on the sole and on the sliding fence. The plane in the original post is flat underneath.

Andy is right, the sole of this one is flat.
It's still for sale, I can post a link if anyone is interested though I don't want to be seen as promoting certain websites etc..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 18.32.28.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 18.32.28.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 993
It used to be an unwritten rule on here that you didn't post a link to a live auction. I'd be a bit miffed if I had spotted something and it appeared on here before the auction end.

Plus it can also be subject to misuse with people posting their own planes or for mates.

So if you spot something interesting wait until the auction ends and then post.

no problem, Mr pea, I wasnt going to post a link unless someone asked. I'm not the one selling it nor do I know the person who is. so.. all good.

It does look at least a bit improvised. The iron is slotted to be part of a double iron, but does not appear to have a cap iron fitted. The hole looks wide for the iron, making me wonder if it has not been ground down in width.

AndyT":3q5rn3w7 said:
I'm sure it is not a chamfer plane. I have a chamfer plane like that - there's a bevel on the sole and on the sliding fence. The plane in the original post is flat underneath.

I wasn't particularly thinking it was, but there are similarities.
Do you know what particular use the curved profile toe on the plane is for Andy?

Just trying to give more of a clue to what the actual use was for.
Tom

Ttrees":2d25wffu said:
I wasn't particularly thinking it was, but there are similarities.
Do you know what particular use the curved profile toe on the plane is for Andy?

Just trying to give more of a clue to what the actual use was for.
Tom

I've checked my one and it doesn't have the same curve. I can't think of a function, so I guess it's just for decoration.

I'd doubt it's a hinge mortise plane. Every one i have seen is long and narrow with the cutter close to the sides to fit within the stops on plowed jambs. It really does look like a router plane though.

I for one am very pleased with my purchase, I will put a big radius on the iron an turn it into a scrub plane :wink:

Trevanion":2y4iyjb3 said:
I for one am very pleased with my purchase, I will put a big radius on the iron an turn it into a scrub plane :wink:

You'll need a good angle grinder to get rid of those ugly wings... :wink:

AndyT":3gqvlilx said:
That's really weird. I can't recall ever seeing anything like that. Just when you think you know a little bit about old tools, a curve ball like this comes crashing in!

Looks nothing like a curve ball. My guess is some kind of plane as the O.P suggests.

Latest posts

Back