Unusual bits of woodwork.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris carving thread in GWW has set me off. This has to be one of the most unusual items I've seen made from wood for a while. These are honey tanks - (at Buckfast Abbey). Each one holds 2.75tonnes, adding up to a total of 27+ tonnes. And no, we aren't on the ground floor either. Each tank can be wheeled sideways, and furthermore, each tank has a system of pipes running through it, to allow steam to be pumped through and help keep the honey running for bottling. I was amazed given the weight of liquid, that it wasn't made of metal - but clearly seemed to be working well for them...

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

But never mind fancy carvings or the honey tanks.... this place was rebuilt (from a patch of grass up) in the early 1900's, by just 4 monks, taking 32 years :shock: Sure puts my lack of getting an extension on the workshop into perspective! :cry:

large.jpg

Wowsers. :shock: I see they've sensibly used plenty of rods to bolt the whole thing together. Fascinating. Thanks for posting those, Adam. Hmm, I like the scoop out at the top giving the impression of an arch. Nice touch.

So will you be going for spiky bits on the workshop now then? :D

Cheers, Alf

Adam,

That is a heck of an installation. They must be very well made to withstand both the weight of the honey and to roll along without difficulty. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks Adam. A beautiful piece of work tying in two of my great passions - woodworking and engineering

Back