unsure about what it is-a newbie question?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodynewbie

Reaction score
hello,
i am not sure if it is the done thing so am sorry but i have only come here to ask a question.

i am removing a shelf and it has at 4 corners of the shelf on the top side, the like large cicular flat metal circles with x which are used for locking in place. i am wondering does anti clockwise lock or unlock? its just i did it anti clockwise on all 4 and it seems still firmly in place. there wasnt much movement in the anti clockwise-like 1/2 a screwdriver turn but if i remember from a long time ago, this is normal. lol i was just going to ask the name of the items so i could google it then thought duh, might aswell ask what i would like to know.

i tried with a wooden plate and light hammer taps from underneath then thought no, seek advice before i break something :)

i know it probably sounds like a windup but i promise its not :)

ok, lol think i may have a problem..just dawned on me i think its little wooden pegs its locking in place and they go into the wood at the side..its part of a kitchen work units and its right in the middle :(

lol will post a pic in 5 mins and youll see what i mean

ok here goes. firstly thanks for kind welcome :)

and here is photo

IMAG0102.jpg

do you want a zoom up on the circular things or can you understand what i mean?

i need to remove the shelf and put it back in at a new height as im putting in a double oven to replace the single oven
and as i think you can see cabinet sat in middle of my units :(

I would say you are not going to be able to remove that shelf without removing the side panel, looks like someone has used/mis-used carcase clamping pins and cams to install it.
These are normally used on top and bottom panels only (and mounted the other way up as well to hide the cam inserts)
fix.jpg

Attachments

• fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 134
I guess you need to remove the right hand upright or at least allow it to move by an inch or so to release the shelf.

Be aware that chipboard will bend to a certain small degree then snap! Take it steady.

good luck

Bob

its gonna cause huge problems trying to remove the side panel with units either side which id need to move..think i may have to destroy the shelf. cut a chunk out of it to remove it and get a new one made or something. what do you guys think. cheers for advice btw

oh right hand upright ..theres a top cupboard above the gap unfortunately and an archetrave i think its called which is one solid piece going around all my units :( i shoulda pulled back when i took photo

Cutting the shelf will be easy and work well.
When you fit the replacement, screw a batten on both side cheeks and rest the new shelf on the battens. Secure with screws up through the battens into the underside of the shelf.

hth

Bob

Peeking out from the underside of both sides of the shelf are what looks to be battens already there, which makes me wonder if the shelf is a reused panel with those cams already fitted from a previous incarnation? Have a look and see if there are any screws or glue between the battens and the shelf before you start cutting it up. Just a thought and I ight be completely wrong.

well spotted. there is. i forgot to get back to removing them- there are 2 horizontal screws(into side wall one on lhs and one on rhs) which were totally seized and was having difficulty removing. out of 6 battens each with 2 horizontal screws, its the 2 nearest screws which i cannot move. the other 4 battens came off without problems as did 2 of the 4 remaining screws. the vertical screws into the shelf itself came out without hitch and it appears like there is no glue to shelf as when i removed screws from other battens they came right off.

instead of cutting right through shelf i decided to wedge ever so gently ( ;) ) a screwdriver to make a small gap between shelf and side wall, similarly i suppose to upper right idea mentioned earlier but with damage :) and have seen there are 2 pegs into the side wall at each circular metal x location. am going to saw away at pegs and may be able to reuse shelf lol.

If that is a tall unit I suspect that shelf is part of the structure. It is there to add stability to the whole unit and if I am right should not be removed unless replaced close by with another fixed shelf.

Without it the sides may bow out or the whole unit will wrack. (Grammar: Is it rack or wrack?)

Mick

thanks mick. unfortunately i need to insert a double oven where a single oven was with a shelf now right in the middle of where it needs to be :)

Back