Unlurk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
[Cue Star Trek transporter sound effect]

[Pete W materialises with somewhat surprised expression]

Hello! I've been lurking for a while and figured it was time to start making a contribution. I'm some way into creating a workshop in the garage but have been held up by the need for a new roof and some major electrical installation. I've been thwarted at every turn financially, most lately by the need to pay the tax man huge amounts of money, but I have been able to invest in a small number of hand tools.

So far I've been an armchair woodworker, inspired by Andrew Crawford and Peter Lloyd's touring exhibition of boxes about a year ago. I started this year by signing up for a basic woodworking course at my local adult education centre - which, after four weeks, has covered saws and chisels, and the savaging of an innocent piece of timber!

Expect a lot of newbie-style questions, but at least I'll give those of you with some experience the chance to show off :D.

Hi pete hope you get yourself sorted , the tax man spoils everything . First item to make hummmm maybe stocks & pillary for the tax man :twisted: .

Hi Pete

Welcome to the group. Just ask away with any questions you are very welcome.

Pete W":ngkjjwvi said:
I've been thwarted at every turn financially, most lately by the need to pay the tax man huge amounts of money, but I have been able to invest in a small number of hand tools.

You have my deepest sympathy. :( I have suffered in the past with our tax system so I can imagine how you feel. :( :(

But yesterday, I paid my self assessment bill for 2002/3 and it came to the princely sum of 1.60. :lol: Everything else went through paye. :wink:

Anyway, the important thing is that you have found this forum and you can seek advice from other like minded people. :D :D

Cheers
Neil

Welcome aboard, Pete.

So tell us about this small number of hand tools then. Perhaps in the fulness of time we can thumb our noses at the Tax Man and help you lose the "small" in that statement... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the welcome!

First question then: handsaws, or more specifically, dovetail saws. I'm hoping to master the art of handcut dovetails but I'm not sure how many I'd be cutting on a regular basis. So, is a dedicated dovetail saw worth the investment?

Assuming a yes to that one, how much to invest? I've seen a couple of reviews of the Adria saw and it looks lovely but not sure whether it's complete overkill for a novice wood-butcher like myself.

Ahh, interesting question, Pete. Would you mind stepping over to the Hand Tools board and we'll start a discussion there. :D

Cheers, Alf

Back