Unknown spinny tool lathe type thingy??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A while ago I bought a Unimat small hobby lathe that came with a few other bits, This was in with the other bits but i've no idea what it is!

It's threaded to a similar pitch/dia to the spindle of my metal lathe so had no business being with the li'l toy lathe!!

It seems to be made of nylon or some other type of plastic and seems to have a wood residue stuck to it, I wonder if it could be some kind of a dead centre :unsure:
PWEct04.jpg

6Gd0FBq.jpg

KleB4W1.jpg

Anyone know or have any suggestions as to what it would be for please?

Cheers, john (y):)

No idea about metal working, but in wood turning you'd use something like this as a "Jam chuck" type system to hold things using friction. But as it's threaded, I am not sure as it couldn't freely rotate.

Edit : When I said Jam chuck, I was actually thinking this piece would go on the tail stock.

Last edited:
I'm definitely NO expert on metal turning, but this doesn't look like anything I've ever seen for metal working lathes.

IF it's for wood turning then I have no idea, sorry.

It looks like a friction drive turned in nylon to suit the profile of the opening of a vase (?) type form. The vase (?) is held between centres with this at the headstock as the drive and a live centre in the tailstock.

it may also be a form for someone trying a bit of metal spinning. not sure if it's wood residue or melted nylon, they both look rather similar when they get hot.

I think it's the sort of chuck that used to be recommended for turning napkin rings, back when they were something people wanted enough to bother making them.

@novocaine. I did think about metal spinning but thought it rather small - and would that nylon (?) thread stand the pressure? Just dunno (seen metal spinning, but never tried it myself).

I reckon a jam chuck as already mentioned is right, but thought I'd throw a few other ideas in the mix.

:)

Latest posts

Back