Unknown Sheffield Tool - John Watts - Haworth's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolsheddude

Reaction score
Hi
I've got this curved knife? And wonder if anyone has any idea on what it is? Its made by John Watts of Sheffield and has Haworth's printed on it and Regd No 309636. I had some thoughts maybe a carving tool or peeler but cannot find much on the maker never mind the tool.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 484
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 468
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 466
Looks a bit like one of those curved knives for carving out the hollows of spoons and bowls like this one by Narex:

narex-spoon-carving-double-edge-knife-cu1_1.jpg

Although I have no idea what the serrations are, whether they were added later by the owner or whether they're manufacturer original would give a hint of what it's used for but I have no idea. Perhaps it's some kind of decorative spoon carver, IE leaves ridges where it cuts.

Hi thanks for the good reply again (you saved me with the Mawhood Chisels before). I did think this was a good possibility, the only thing is it has barely an edge at all. I know its probably blunt from time and use but the ridges made me think maybe it was more of a kitchen utensil than a carving tool. I hope not.

Did a little digging on John Watts, seems like they were predominantly a cutler than anything else. So possibly your tool is some kind of kitchen utensil.

www.sheffieldcutlerymap.org.uk/location/john-watts-ltd/

Actually, After looking up the Haworths brand and register number I found this is actually what's called a butter curler. The more you know! Vintage coolness! 8)

21fJlsWp0kL.jpg

Damn your good at this man! Not exactly the news i wanted but i'm glad i know now! Its still a cool looking tool and will go in my Sheffield cabinet. Not sure anyone will fancy putting this in butter haha

I was thinking it was domestic and spent a while failing to find it in old cutlery catalogues, so it's nice to know the answer.

Back